do you think the Big Ruckus Headlight assembly would make a good dual sport rig?

50 replies to this topic
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Well, Ive seen this conversation on another site. The Rukus system needs major modifycation to fit standard or USD forks from what they said. It isn't that cost efective unless you know Fuct, and it has only 30w lamps from what they said. I feel the duals or a single 8in round from any of the motorcycle bolt on companies is the best way to go. I have an 8in round on my Desertsled, a nice frame and a Ceibie Super Oscar, it rocks. And it looks cool. I may go to the dual setup for that bike and install the SupOscar on the super moto. The Acerbis Diamond although cool alien looking is TOTALLY LAME in the light delartment even with two 50w projector beams in it. I need to alos buy another Rickystator for the SM to do this mod...it has a stock stator.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:17 AM

What's the word Happy!!!!! Did you do it yet!

Yes and no. Yes all the parts are here, no it isn't currently installed. :thumbsup: I just dont have the time to mess around with building the brackets. The wiring is done and in place, I used some BajaDesigns fork brackets from one of their light setups to attach to the upper forks. I just need to finalize the bracket that holds the light assembly to the BD brackets. I have some wood mockups that hold it on, and i took it for a ride at night to test them out. THis setup puts out plenty of light! more than what i need, that is for sure. The setup really looks alot like the BD duals on their site, not much difference other than the brackets they have would seem to be far less likely to bend when they took a hit, this stock honda bracket just isnt built to be a crashbar.

Well, Ive seen this conversation on another site. The Rukus system needs major modifycation to fit standard or USD forks from what they said. It isn't that cost efective unless you know Fuct, and it has only 30w lamps from what they said. I feel the duals or a single 8in round from any of the motorcycle bolt on companies is the best way to go. I have an 8in round on my Desertsled, a nice frame and a Ceibie Super Oscar, it rocks. And it looks cool. I may go to the dual setup for that bike and install the SupOscar on the super moto. The Acerbis Diamond although cool alien looking is TOTALLY LAME in the light delartment even with two 50w projector beams in it. I need to alos buy another Rickystator for the SM to do this mod...it has a stock stator.

Snipe, no, it really doent take much modification. and no, it isnt cost effective, but i actually didnt care, i did it more on a whim than to save cash. It entails just fabricating one small bracket for each side of the housing. If i had more time to play in the shop, it woulda been done in a day or so. I have the Silverstar version of the stock 55/60w bulb from my L in both lenses. I had the highbeams hooked up to turn on all 4 fillaments at once... can you say sun-flare? It was just TOO bright, so i hooked up just the highs on both lenses, so it is in effect over twice as bright as a stock 650l. I still cant find that blasted multimeter!

Hopefully i will get some mod-time soon before i have a nervous breakdown. :ride:

• thouk

Posted August 01, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Happy,
I saw a Big R at a dealership today. I think with a little sheet metal work this setup would look good on the BRP. I may go for it just to make it look like another cage is coming at the one headed towards me. I like doing mods just to do them. Well Happy when are you going to get done with your Rucky Pig mod? Have fun, Tony

• scarysharkface

Posted March 20, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Anything ever come of this? I'd love to see it!

I would be interested in applying the Big Ruckus lamps to my KLR...

• hirsty

Posted January 06, 2009 - 06:57 AM

I found a picture of a fabulous KLX650 with Honda Ruckus (Zoomer) headlights on today, and Googled 'Ruckus' to see if there were any links to suppliers - this conversation came up...

I think this bike looks fantastic:

http://d.yimg.com/kq...132437/name/n_a

http://d.yimg.com/kq...494638/name/n_a

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:53 PM

Very nice. I am not into blinkers being an "R" guy but, for the Baja look on an "L" it would look real cool. If it was a duel sported "R" needing the blinkers somewhere would be hard to find a spot to put the little tear drop blinkers most guys use. I am not a Kawi fan but, that does look nice and clean. I just hate blinkers that stick out. You got to have them and smaller is not better for safty.........they just don't look good to me. I love the SCORE sticker on a KLX....must make it get atleat 10hp more!

• 4runnerman88

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:40 PM

The KLX looks ok with it, the XR looks ?ok? , but to me it still looks like a big set of female appendeges on a bike.
Can't you get more light for about the same price and less modification involved? Possibly even less wieght ?

• BWB63

Posted January 06, 2009 - 08:30 PM

Well, for the guy that has an "L" and wants the Baja Race look and plenty of light I think it's a great setup. I am into the whole race seen and like the look but, have the real thing. If I was one that was into the duel sport thing or was one that an "L" fit my riding style and still liked the SCORE Baja race thing I would spend the money and get something like that. I like poking fun at "L" riders and they like making fun of me but, in the end it's what works for the rider. I still hate the blinkers:p but, I am not riding that bike. It's hard enough having to ride an "L" but, to have to ride a KLX must be real humiliating:moon:
That light looks like a small version of this:
Posted Image

and even closer to this:
Posted Image

I run a single 8" light but, like the look of the double.

• XR680RR

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:25 AM

Can you change the bulbs to H4's? or are they the small ones? Can you put 50 watt'rs in both and have some real light?

• Coolidge

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:33 AM

I dig the dual light look too. I have a set of the dual 100w PIAA from Ricky Stator on my XRR. Here they are in mock-up stage
Posted Image
This set-up work well: 1 light is pencil beam, other is wide beam, however, a bit heavy. Im really liking my new set-up where I adapted a 08 Infiniti G35 HID light to my Baja Designs H/L

• 2wheelsmorefun

Posted March 30, 2010 - 08:15 AM

How the the project end with the ruckus lights? Any pics?

Any more pics of lighting options for the xr650L?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.