taming a 02 wr426

21 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:46 AM

Hay gang. I talked a friend of mine into getting a 02 wr426. I was checking it out for him and all the free mods have been done. He, like me, is just getting back into riding and some years and says the bike scares him a bit so I thought id tame it down a little until he gets used to it. I reconnected the gray wire but would like to limit the throttle also.

Does anyone have a stock wr throttle stop screw they would be willing to part with :banghead:

• hotthrottle613

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:50 AM

Will one from an '05 wr450 work? If so, I have one. If mine will fit, PM me.

Mark

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:04 AM

Actually is he running the stock exhaust? If so put a GYT insert in it and it will tame it down and smooth out the hit. After he gets more comfortable he can take it out and it will be back to normal. I don't think the throttle stop is really the way you want to go.

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Will one from an '05 wr450 work? If so, I have one. If mine will fit, PM me.

Mark

I'm not sure if it will fit or not. I just tried looking up the part numbers on Yamahas website to see if the part numbers are the same and I can't even tell which screw it is :banghead:
Does anyone know if it will fit :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Actually is he running the stock exhaust? If so put a GYT insert in it and it will tame it down and smooth out the hit. After he gets more comfortable he can take it out and it will be back to normal. I don't think the throttle stop is really the way you want to go.

It has an FMF muffler but it's hard to tell which one, all I know is it is USFS approved. It seems the screw is the way to go to me a lot less $ than a insert that will be disposed of :banghead:

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Just tell him not to pin the throttle. I know its hard but if he never goes over half throttle its the same as a throttle stop.

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Just tell him not to pin the throttle. I know its hard but if he never goes over half throttle its the same as a throttle stop.

I agree but the last bike he road was a xr250 with a lot less hit. I'd hate to see my riding buddy loop it on a hill climb because he forgot not to pit the throttle :banghead:

• jdubsooner

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:33 AM

If it's uncorked, I would cork it.

• hotthrottle613

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:05 AM

Easier said than done! One ill-timed whoop, rock, or other obstacle and he'd probably end up WFO. with a &%$#@! look on his face! :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:36 AM

Easier said than done! One ill-timed whoop, rock, or other obstacle and he'd probably end up WFO. with a &%$#@! look on his face! :lol:

Exactly :banghead: Don't want him to give up and lose a riding buddy.....old farts like us that just like to cruise and hard to come by :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotthrottle613

Posted October 20, 2005 - 11:09 AM

:banghead: :banghead: :lol:

• dez4ever

Posted October 20, 2005 - 11:25 AM

Hmmm...at first I thought this thread was a joke, but you're actually serious. Sounds like he should've leaned more towards and XR400. If he's already afraid of WR and it spooks him somewhere soon chances are he'll never feel comfortable on it.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 20, 2005 - 11:35 AM

It has an FMF muffler but it's hard to tell which one, all I know is it is USFS approved. It seems the screw is the way to go to me a lot less $ than a insert that will be disposed of :banghead:

Agreed. I'm just not sure the throttle stop is going to have the desired effect. My guess is it won't do anything to smooth out the powerband and will still have a substantial hit just not as much top end. But then again it's cheap enough to be worth a try.

The stock exhaust with a GYT insert is pretty mellow compared to uncorked (which is why I don't run it anymore). Maybe you could borrow one from someone? I don't have mine anymore or I'd offer it up.

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Hmmm...at first I thought this thread was a joke, but you're actually serious. Sounds like he should've leaned more towards and XR400. If he's already afraid of WR and it spooks him somewhere soon chances are he'll never feel comfortable on it.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. It's not that he's scared of it, it's just with the xr250 he could pin the throttle with no worries and it's hard to break old habits so if he was able to pin the throttle without getting full power he could concentrate on getting used to how the bike handles. I'm sure after a few rides he'll be beggin me to put the short screw back in :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Agreed. I'm just not sure the throttle stop is going to have the desired effect. My guess is it won't do anything to smooth out the powerband and will still have a substantial hit just not as much top end. But then again it's cheap enough to be worth a try.

The stock exhaust with a GYT insert is pretty mellow compared to uncorked (which is why I don't run it anymore). Maybe you could borrow one from someone? I don't have mine anymore or I'd offer it up.

My thinking is between the longer throttle stop and the gray wire reconnected to retard the timing some he can use to the bike more quickly (and safely) I could be wrong :banghead: but we are in our 40's and don't heal as quickly anymore :banghead:

• Captain Bob

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I had similar thoughts. Installing the insert is a very quick way to slow it down a bit. I have a question for you however, Is the GYT insert the stock insert or is it a different one. Also, will he need to rejet the carb after "inserting the insert"?

My WR400 (all free mods done) runs great without the insert. With the insert, it backfires through the exaust on deceleration. This is why I was asking

Bob

• Captain Bob

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Exactly :banghead: Don't want him to give up and lose a riding buddy.....old farts like us that just like to cruise and hard to come by :banghead:

I resemble that "old fart" comment! You sure pegged me! One other thing to add is make sure the suspension is reasonably close to being properly set up for your buddy. I bought a new (to me) YZ timed WR 400 recently and during my first dirt ride with it, I thought I was gonna die! The previous owner had it set up for MX and it was way to stiff. It was miserable until I got it at least partially dialed in. Trying to deal with the bike bouncing all over the place and the serious hit of the engine on tight rocky New England single track was tough! I went in the pucker brush more times then I would like to admit that day.

Just a suggestion!

Bob

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:32 PM

I resemble that "old fart" comment! You sure pegged me! One other thing to add is make sure the suspension is reasonably close to being properly set up for your buddy. I bought a new (to me) YZ timed WR 400 recently and during my first dirt ride with it, I thought I was gonna die! The previous owner had it set up for MX and it was way to stiff. It was miserable until I got it at least partially dialed in. Trying to deal with the bike bouncing all over the place and the serious hit of the engine on tight rocky New England single track was tough! I went in the pucker brush more times then I would like to admit that day.

Just a suggestion!

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I'm not sure what it was set up for so I followed the manual and put all the settings back to stock and we can go from there. He's about my weight give or take and I have mine set at stock and haven't have to move them yet.

• oldbones

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Do you have the airbox lid? If so, put it back on. If not, pull the seat and place a hand towel or something over the top of the airbox and put the seat back. That should mellow the power a bit...

• simon@vic

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:23 PM

get him a wr250 or get him to control his arms!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.