Creeky forks?

5 replies to this topic
  • AdamW

Posted October 20, 2005 - 04:35 AM

After a recent fork rebuild by a local technician, I seem to have a "creeky" sound coming from the forks while compressing them. I kind of sounds like a creeky bed spring. I usually expect to hear only the whooshing of oil/air compressing. Is something wrong? Anyone else experience this?

• kehale

Posted October 20, 2005 - 12:30 PM

probably just dry fork springs.

When you ride it around a bit, it should go away.
-T

• goblin127

Posted October 20, 2005 - 12:39 PM

That noise should go a way after a ride. maybe just the new fork seal?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kehale

Posted October 20, 2005 - 12:55 PM

could be a fork seal, but...if it sounds like a spring on metal (mattress springs)...then it's just the springs being dry.

Do a couple of double jumps, then a triple. DO NOT jump more than 3 buses at a time until you know the noise has gone away. :banghead: :banghead:

• cholwerk

Posted October 20, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Do you have the stock fork boots or aftermarket motocross style fork shield. The scotts shields (like they used to sell with the fork brace) will squeak in a similar manner to what you describe. WD40 will fix them.

• ponq

Posted October 20, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I hate to ask, but what bike are we talking about?

I would guess the spring will eventually seat itself and the creeking will go away.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.