Dream On

3 replies to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted August 21, 2001 - 01:00 AM

.....effortless hopping from one whoops to the the other..... seamless flow from acceleration....launch .... flight...... landing..... braking.... flick of the throttle to throw the back of the bike round the berm .....launch..... I'm floating on my bike..... I'm loving my bike.... my bike is a WR400......

My dream from last night....! I own a '87 Honda XL600LM (600 thumper Paris Dakar stysle). I'm desperatly in need of trading it in and buying that second hand '98 WR400 that just came in the shop (2'nd hand bikes are as rare as hens teeth here).

So before I shell out (and piss my wife off royally as I'm scrambling for the cash) any advice on what to watch out for ?

As far as I can tell the bike is stock except for seat & gas tank, bark busters.

The Missile

• vincegatcore.com

Posted August 21, 2001 - 01:39 AM

weak clutch baskets
mine blew up and caused much grief.
they (yamaha) changed them in 99

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Missile

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:14 AM

I'm not very well versed in the tech talk yet. What is a clutch basket ? I guess its the casing around the clutch assembly ? How does it break & why does it cause so much grief ?

• Flying_Solo

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:55 AM

clutch basket is weak. it should be replaced. I don't know if yamaha upgraded to a stronger one or not. if not, a Hinson clutch basket should be on your list [these are pricey] or would a 99 fit right up to your 98(?).

also, it is always easier to get forgiveness than permission...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.