Kritter's footpeg fix

33 replies to this topic
  • jim1234

Posted October 19, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I just had my footpeg fixed by kritter. He did it fast and it was a great job :banghead: He even supplied a new footpeg cotter pin. I'm very Happy with the results
JIM

• hill5150

Posted October 19, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Just got mine last week, will try it out this weekend. It's really nice having a footpeg there...................... :banghead:

• my98mugen

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:46 PM

ordered mine yesterday

• Barro

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:48 PM

I may not know what this is :banghead: ... but I feel I need one. :banghead:

Is there a link to a description of it or pics I can look at?

Cheers.

Eduardo.

• pchansen

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Do a search for "right foot peg", and if you ride an XR650R yes, you need one.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:43 AM

I am afraid to do the fix because I have 2 years warranty left and don't want to drill a hole in the frame. I just replaced my peg bolts after a year and the allen head bolt was bent. Glad I replaced them. I will probably do it twice a year until I do the fix.

• hill5150

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:35 PM

I may not know what this is :banghead: ... but I feel I need one. :banghead:

Is there a link to a description of it or pics I can look at?

Cheers.

Eduardo.

Do the fix, it will save you thousands in hospital bills when you wad at 80 mph...............................Luckily I was lucky.do it do it now.....

http://www.animalhou...et/products.htm

• BRP27

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Re: Kritter's footpeg fix

I am afraid to do the fix because I have 2 years warranty left and don't want to drill a hole in the frame. I just replaced my peg bolts after a year and the allen head bolt was bent. Glad I replaced them. I will probably do it twice a year until I do the fix.

01 XR650R, BD kit, plated, .47kg/11.0kg, way too few mods.

I was concerned about drilling the frame mount hole also. But it is really only cleaning the threads out of the hole. Very easy to drill , not removing much metal. This is an easy fix. I did the fix myself and just had a welder put the bracket on the peg mount. But Kritters fix is the easiest way to go

• Barro

Posted October 21, 2005 - 10:12 PM

A little search went a long way... thanks for the wisedom :banghead:

Just one Q?
which bolt goes first, the front or the back one?

I'll do a quick bolt upgrade fix till next season.

Eduardo.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I weigh 250+ lbs. and I just changed my bolts out. I had about 2 years on them. I too still have 2 years left on my warrantee. It voids the frame warrantee. The frames do crack. I know one rider who weighed a bit more than me and he cracked three frames on his XR650R. He was a much more aggressive rider than me. Never the less had he done the Kritter fix it would have voided his warrantee.

By the way, when I changed my bolts out they were not perceptibly bent but the longer hex head had developed a white crust around the upper part of the threads. When I worked in the ship yards this was always a bad sign. We used zinc blocks to help prevent this from happening as quickly since it makes the metal porous and weakens it. I'm glad I changed them out and have two brand new sets of bolts waiting in line. I will change them out every six months now. When the warrantee is over I will do the Critter fix.

I never changed them out on my first XR650 and rode it for 3 years and put 5000+ miles on the bike. Never broke the right foot peg in that time. I have 2000 miles on my present pig and have never broke the peg. After seeing the development of that white crust on my hex bolt I feel I was very lucky. Now I have put the changing out of bolts as a regular part of my maintenance schedule.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kehale

Posted October 23, 2005 - 07:12 AM

If you drill your frame with a footpeg mod and your frame breaks by the footpeg, then I can see them voiding your frame warranty.

If it breaks someplace else....there's no way I'd sit back and let them void it.

I know some good aluminum welders anyway :banghead:
-T

• Kritter

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:03 PM

If you drill your frame with a footpeg mod and your frame breaks by the footpeg, then I can see them voiding your frame warranty.

If it breaks someplace else....there's no way I'd sit back and let them void it.

I know some good aluminum welders anyway :banghead:
-T

If I break my head tube off...they arent going to say anything about my footpeg modification!

PC drills the rear bolt thru as well as the front bolt...I do NOT drill the rear bolt through because if the frame is going to crack...its going to crack at that rear intersection.

From sales research the people who are breaking pegs are either racing and pounding the crap out of the bikes or big guys who stand up a lot regardless of beating their bikes or both of the above(about 40/40/20 repectively). Trail riders or dual sport guys who hardly stand up and ride around on fire roads, streets and slow going technical stuff are not breaking many peg bolts or if they are they arent getting them fixed from me.

If you dont buy it from me...buy it from PC or do it yourself...its cheap insurance.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 23, 2005 - 06:50 PM

If I break my head tube off...they arent going to say anything about my footpeg modification!

PC drills the rear bolt thru as well as the front bolt...I do NOT drill the rear bolt through because if the frame is going to crack...its going to crack at that rear intersection.

From sales research the people who are breaking pegs are either racing and pounding the crap out of the bikes or big guys who stand up a lot regardless of beating their bikes or both of the above(about 40/40/20 repectively). Trail riders or dual sport guys who hardly stand up and ride around on fire roads, streets and slow going technical stuff are not breaking many peg bolts or if they are they arent getting them fixed from me.

If you dont buy it from me...buy it from PC or do it yourself...its cheap insurance.

The fellow I mentioned who actually weighed close to 300 lbs broke his frame exactly where you mentioned. The welds give way there. It is on the right side just behind the footpeg mounts. There was another spot he pointed out but I do not remember where that was.

I am a woods and desert rider but not a racer. i ride on the pegs 50 to 60 percent of the time. I weight 250++ lbs. and have not broken a peg yet. But as I said earlier, I feel I have been lucky and that is why I am now scheduling my bolt changes. I like the Kritter fix but will not void my warrantee so I will get your fix later.

• Kritter

Posted October 24, 2005 - 11:51 AM

"The fellow I mentioned who actually weighed close to 300 lbs broke his frame exactly where you mentioned. The welds give way there. It is on the right side just behind the footpeg mounts. There was another spot he pointed out but I do not remember where that was."

exaclty why I dont tell people who buy my stuff to drill the rear. I think it is a huge mistake that precision concepts didnt even think about, but then again...they arent engineers.

• Curvesurfer

Posted May 10, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I know this is an old thread, but...

The current PC part only requires drilling the front bolt, not the rear. Does anyone have any experience with this new piece? It's twice as expensive as the AHD version...

• Naru

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I have the new piece (which drills through the front only). Works fine, but Kritter's fix is far cheaper, so I'd just go with that.

• weskc35k

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Zinc blocks on a vessel slow down electrolisis...i think.

• motochris

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Installed Kritters Footpeg fix this week.....timing couldn't have been better. I've checked those bolts before every ride, after hearing the "horror" stories. Did a race last weekend, then went to pull the peg mount off to swap for Kritters.......the bolts were BARELY snug....I mean just a hair tighter than finger tight! That was the first time I'de really hammered the bike, and the problem reared it's head. Luckily it stayed together. Don't gotta worry anymore though....thanks KRIS.

• Kritter

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:55 PM

I will be down in mexico prerunning next weekend 19/20/21 if anybody needs one I will have a couple with me.

• Kritter

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I know this is an old thread, but...

The current PC part only requires drilling the front bolt, not the rear. Does anyone have any experience with this new piece? It's twice as expensive as the AHD version...

I wonder why they did that? I wonder if they upgraded the front bolt to a 7/16 as well as went with a 1 piece tab to boot instead of a 2 piece hacked up piece of angle iron....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.