starter switch $35 bucks???? can I get just the switch???

11 replies to this topic
  • J_DOGG

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:35 AM

My parts guy is telling me he can only get the OEM switch that includes the wires that plug into the harness take it or leave it...
I just don't think they know of a better solution or how to get just the switch.

What broke was the button part, so I took it apart and found a spring and pin type thing in there had snapped so pushing the button does not make the connection to start. all I need is the plastic switch part that I can slide the two existing wire ends into.

Am I looking for something that does not exist?

I can find kill switches all day long? are they the same? I have to assume they are not and not just cuz one button is red and the other is grey.

• gmoss357

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:48 AM

get the kill switch, back the wires out of your plug and the new plug, switch plugs, plug it back up and mount it.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:05 PM

My parts guy is telling me he can only get the OEM switch that includes the wires that plug into the harness take it or leave it...
I just don't think they know of a better solution or how to get just the switch.

What broke was the button part, so I took it apart and found a spring and pin type thing in there had snapped so pushing the button does not make the connection to start. all I need is the plastic switch part that I can slide the two existing wire ends into.

Am I looking for something that does not exist?

I can find kill switches all day long? are they the same? I have to assume they are not and not just cuz one button is red and the other is grey.

Your stock kill switch and start switch are interchangable :banghead: Go out and get a YZ style kill switch either from the Yamaha shop or somewhere else, (I got one at "Bent Bike" for $7.00), then do one of two things.

1. Cut the leads/connections off of your existing, broken start button and connect them to the YZ Kill Switch wires and use that as your new Start button but you may have clearance issues with throttle cables as this switch is a little bigger.

2.Cut the leads/connections off of your existing, broken start button and connect them to the YZ Kill Switch and use that as your new Kill Button and move your stock Kill Button over and use it as your Start Button. A black magic marker could be used for color coding if you want.

Good Luck! :banghead:

• Grandville

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:11 PM

Been there and have done the above.

• RichBaker

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:17 PM

That is the only way Yamaha sells the switch....and I can't think of any switch of this type that didn't come wired....

• Joe_P

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I did what SJMC_DON did, only I bought a Honda CRF450X switch and used that. The Honda switch was about 35 bones, but it hasn't broken in a year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gmoss357

Posted October 20, 2005 - 04:18 AM

you don't have to CUT anything! you can simply back the wires out of the plugs. That way everything is nice and clean, not to mention less prone to the elements messing something up.

• J_DOGG

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:16 AM

That sounds exactly like what I was looking for, thanks guys....
I'm getting the kill switch today on my way home....

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 20, 2005 - 07:16 AM

you don't have to CUT anything! you can simply back the wires out of the plugs. That way everything is nice and clean, not to mention less prone to the elements messing something up.

When I say cut, I mean cut the wires from the stock start button and either solder them or butt connect to the wires on the new switch, use some heat shrink on the to keep them water tight and then you can plug it right back into the factory connections. :banghead:

• gmoss357

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:58 AM

When I say cut, I mean cut the wires from the stock start button and either solder them or butt connect to the wires on the new switch, use some heat shrink on the to keep them water tight and then you can plug it right back into the factory connections. :banghead:

I know you are just cutting the wires on the ignition part. :lol: You are simply making it more work than it has to be. I'm telling you all you have to do in the future is what I have posted, took me about 10 min start to finish.

Happy trails,

Garrett :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:49 AM

I know you are just cutting the wires on the ignition part. :lol: You are simply making it more work than it has to be. I'm telling you all you have to do in the future is what I have posted, took me about 10 min start to finish.

Happy trails,

Garrett :banghead:

Cool :banghead:

• gmoss357

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:53 AM

the other thing too is that I didn't have and was too lazy to go purchase the connectors needed to connect it that way. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.