WR 426 range

23 replies to this topic
  • T-racer

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:36 AM

I just bought a 02 WR426. I was wondering what the avg. miles people are getting out of a tank of gas. It has a stock tank. It has the big gun pipe and it has been jetted.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:30 AM

You are looking at an average of 60 miles with variations depending on speed and terrain but a 60 mile assumption will probably give you a little safety factor.

Always be prepared :banghead:

• Fryboy

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:38 AM

I would imagine you will get 80-100 miles per tank full. I average about 30 miles per gallon 3.2 x 30 = 96 miles. On dual sport rides you may get a little more but tight single track high in the RPM's all day, you will obviously get less.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:54 AM

I would imagine you will get 80-100 miles per tank full. I average about 30 miles per gallon 3.2 x 30 = 96 miles. On dual sport rides you may get a little more but tight single track high in the RPM's all day, you will obviously get less.

Thats awful generous...... My experience comes from my 400, 70 mile single track loop at Mt. Saint Helens, had to put in a fuel stop.........

My advice would be to proceed with caution until you know. It could very well be 80+ miles and I could be talkin' out my :banghead:

Good luck :banghead:

• ARin

Posted October 19, 2005 - 01:34 PM

my trail riding "team" of guys all have 400's, 426's and 450's....one of the latest rides was pushing 100 miles...about 96 miles...

all were on fumes..but all made it. However, there was a considerable amount of downhill coasting.

• OldManInTheDesert

Posted October 19, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I have the 02 426 also, I'd say 80 plus shouldn't be a problem. I have not tested this but I've gone 70 and still had a good amount in the tank.

• Fryboy

Posted October 19, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Thats awful generous...... My experience comes from my 400, 70 mile single track loop at Mt. Saint Helens, had to put in a fuel stop.........

My advice would be to proceed with caution until you know. It could very well be 80+ miles and I could be talkin' out my :banghead:

Good luck :banghead:

Ohhh you are so right. Proceed with Caution. I don't want to be blamed for anyone getting stranded. I know from somewhat experience. I have gone on 60 mile loops, come back for lunch and then filled back up. I still had over a gallon of gas, almost half a tank. Like I said earlier, it is really dependent on the type of terrain you are riding. Sand? Ohh the numbers will go down. Mud, same thing. But hard pack which allows you to ride in higher gears will greatly increase your mileage. Tight single track, you may use more. Plus don't forget, if you are going on steep terrain, having a low amount of gas may make you starve the carb.

Good luck, and be safe
Fryboy

• jonova

Posted October 19, 2005 - 03:34 PM

Crusing you can expect 100mi.

Race pace 60mi.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 19, 2005 - 03:34 PM

On my '01 I get as low as 26mpg when I'm on it hard and as high as 35 mpg dual sporting fire roads.

• T-racer

Posted October 19, 2005 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info. And don't worry if I happen to run out of gas I wouldn't plain anyone but myself.
The reason I was asking is because I want to sign up for the LA to Barstow to Vegas ride. They say you have to be able to go 100 miles. I need to figure out how to carry more gas. Are there aftermarket tanks that are bigger. All the tanks I have found are smaller or the same size.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'm a trail guy only and I get around 30ish MPG. Now I know that I cannot hang with half of the guys that fly through the woods, but I'm also not that conservative and usually average around 18-20 MPH in the Michigan trails which contain a far amount of sand. I'm on a 01 WR 426 with free mods, JD Jetting kit, Vortip and stock exhaust.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info. And don't worry if I happen to run out of gas I wouldn't plain anyone but myself.
The reason I was asking is because I want to sign up for the LA to Barstow to Vegas ride. They say you have to be able to go 100 miles. I need to figure out how to carry more gas. Are there aftermarket tanks that are bigger. All the tanks I have found are smaller or the same size.

If you won't need your head light check out one of those number plate tanks! My 13 yr old son did a 50 mile dessert race last year and I put one on his 85 and it worked awesome!

Here's a pic of him at the finish line, they install easily and securily and will give you plenty of range with out having to stop and add fuel!

http://trav.smugmug..../19434259-M.jpg

Good Luck! :banghead:

• T-racer

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:12 PM

If you won't need your head light check out one of those number plate tanks! My 13 yr old son did a 50 mile dessert race last year and I put one on his 85 and it worked awesome!

Here's a pic of him at the finish line, they install easily and securily and will give you plenty of range with out having to stop and add fuel!

http://trav.smugmug..../19434259-M.jpg

Good Luck! :banghead:

I thought about that but I do need my light. I also saw the tank that is integrated into the side plate.

• Gadsen

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:43 PM

I had a 2001 WR426F and it has the stock 3.2 gallon tank, rode it 76 miles in a trail with some Friends, they all started to run out of gas, I never even went on reserve. This was all trails, so expect at least that unless you have something wrong.

• OldManInTheDesert

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:39 PM

You could always carry an extra bottle in you camelback. Not my favorite idea either but I have seen lots of folks do it.

• Tardix1

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:27 AM

Acerbis 25l...is new and the price is more or less good

Posted Image

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:19 AM

I recently bought a 12.4 litre Clarke Tank, and cannot rate it highly enough.
It's 55% bigger than stock, and feels no larger than a standard tank, as most of the extra volume is held low, keeping the width similar.
Get a see-through one for peace of mind too. :banghead:

(pics in my garage)

• jsaffordwr426

Posted October 20, 2005 - 11:23 AM

On street i get almost 50 miles a gallon, but on trail only about 35.

• 96warrior

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:09 PM

After 70 miles, I usually have to switch to reserve. I only trail ride, alot of it is aggresive wide open riding, mixed in with some sandy hill climbs.

• Desracer

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I carry a quart of gas in my Camelback pouch as my 05 sucks the gas! You can average about 30 mpg's so you can dump in the quart in about 15 miles. Reserve seems to be good for about 10 miles.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.