Baja 1000 pit support questions.

3 replies to this topic
  • Leget

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:49 AM

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions about volunteering for Pit Support in the B1K.
I need some general advice.....heres what has happened so far.

I contacted one the major pit support companies about a month ago and volunteered myself if they could use the help. I was sent a reply rather quickly which said they could use me and they would forward my info on to the Pit Director.

I waited a week and didn't hear anything so I sent an email to the Pit Director and I haven't gotten a reply in almost three weeks.

Now we are about a month away and I still have no info....
1. I don't know which airport I should fly into.
2. I don't know if I will need my own vehicle.
3. I have not made hotel reservations.

I totally understand that they have 101 things to take care of and I'm #102.

The reason I'm writing this is I need advice.....I really don't want to hassle these people but I at least need some basic info.

How does this normally work? I'm not looking for specifics, just wondering how this has worked for others in the past.

If worse comes to worse I guess I can just go and watch...but I really,really, really want to help out. Times running out and I hope its not to late to make arrangements.

My evil plan is to learn as much as possible by volunteering for a few years and maybe try it myself someday.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Now we are about a month away and I still have no info....
1. I don't know which airport I should fly into.
2. I don't know if I will need my own vehicle.
3. I have not made hotel reservations..

Having a decent game plan is a good idea, but really, a lot of things fall into place at the last moment so I wouldn't sweat it being so near.
re: 1 - Get yourself a flight into San Diego's Linberg Field airport - probably arrive on the 16th and out on afternoon of 20th.
re: 2 - I dunno.
re: 3 - Too late for that anyhow. I'd be so surprised if you could have found a room available in Ensenada even 2 months ago. If you go Pit near San Felipe it shouldn't be any problem being a walk-in and getting rooms.
We book rooms at least 6 months in advance. And for next years 1000 I have already paid $3000 deposit, yeah, 14 months ahead of time. The room situation for races is pretty bad.

If worse comes to worse I guess I can just go and watch...but I really,really, really want to help out. Times running out and I hope its not to late to make arrangements.

If you are hard up to help and can't get one of the Clubs to place you someplace we have 3 or 4 bikes we're pitting at remote locations with help from a good group of guys and maybe one of 'em would be able to pick you up and haul you down. They'll be camping. If you're interested PM me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Leget

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:32 AM

If you are hard up to help and can't get one of the Clubs to place you someplace we have 3 or 4 bikes we're pitting at remote locations with help from a good group of guys and maybe one of 'em would be able to pick you up and haul you down. They'll be camping. If you're interested PM me.

If it wouldn't be an inconvenience for your friend, that might be exactly what I do.

I've already made (at the least) a "gesture" :banghead: of commitment to another group, but if I don't hear anything soon, I'll be sure to contact you.

Thanks, Michael

I might go ahead and dig out the tent........just in case. :banghead:

• Leget

Posted October 21, 2005 - 08:40 AM

I still haven't heard anything...so check you PMs BajaBoundMoto.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.