Dual Sport - Plating the XR650R in Massachusetts!

52 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted March 30, 2006 - 04:07 AM

Nice! Glad to see you're liking it. I forgot you put the K-270's on, they should be fine. If you have any issues with the sticker let me know. Also, let me know when we're ready to set up a ride. I've got some great dualsporting areas around here.

• ztsd

Posted March 31, 2006 - 04:17 PM

Nice! Glad to see you're liking it. I forgot you put the K-270's on, they should be fine. If you have any issues with the sticker let me know. Also, let me know when we're ready to set up a ride. I've got some great dualsporting areas around here.

I JUST CAN'T WAIT! Yeeehaaa!

• ztsd

Posted April 06, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I'm going to look into one. However, I have a GPR barmount stabilizer and I'm afraid the speedo will get in the way of it or vice/versa. I'll have to fab up some custom mount. Nothing a few beers and a welder can't accomplish.

Hey Tim,

I’m still waiting on the Speedometer! Can’t get the inspection sticker till it’s mounted. I did get my Edelbrock and 12 Kg spring though. I hadn’t budged for the QS but I made a change of plans on the luggage and saved $350! Check this! http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=358258

Things are coming along with the custom rubber mounted bars and SUB damper mounted triple clamp... Look here for the update: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=354894

How did you make out on GPR install? Can’t wait to DualSport with ya!

• TimBrp

Posted April 07, 2006 - 02:42 AM

The GPR has been on for a year or so. It's the speedo that will get in the way when I buy one. You're mounting saddlebags to the 650? Oh boy....

• ztsd

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:57 AM

The GPR has been on for a year or so. It's the speedo that will get in the way when I buy one. You're mounting saddlebags to the 650? Oh boy....

Yeah, saddlebags, tank pannier and fender bags... You know, Dualsport!!!

BTW, tell me about the GPR...

• adam574

Posted April 08, 2006 - 01:00 PM

geez saddlebags... maybe i am not up to the task of riding with you guys. i usually just fillerup and ride for two or three hours then fill up again. that is the nice part about the dualsport i can just hope on the road and go to a gas station.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ztsd

Posted April 09, 2006 - 06:40 AM

geez saddlebags... maybe i am not up to the task of riding with you guys. i usually just fillerup and ride for two or three hours then fill up again. that is the nice part about the dualsport i can just hope on the road and go to a gas station.

Hey Adam,

I wouldn’t be concerned if I were you... I haven’t ridden a bike for 25+ years and I’m just getting back into it... So far about 75 miles on the BRP.

I’m hoping to ride coast to coast in the next year or two and I’m setting the bike up for that. I’m adding the luggage, large tank and a removable windscreen. I’m trying to set the bike up in a way that I can easily convert from street to dirt with things like the tires a Dualsport compromise.

I’m an old, sick guy and if anything, I won’t be able to keep up with you...

• adam574

Posted April 09, 2006 - 08:06 AM

coast to coast? do you plan on sight seeing when you do it or just make a b line for california?

• TimBrp

Posted April 10, 2006 - 02:53 AM

He'll be sight seeing for sure on the BRP. He's gonna have to stop and rest his ass...lol. That will be the ultimate monkey butt ride.

ztsd-The GPR stabilizer is awesome. It will definitely pay off on the street as will a fork brace(SRC) setup. Scotts makes another good stabilizer but I like the GPR for ease of use and the price was much better. GPR will also service the unit once/year for free aside from shipping. Ride a bike with one and you'll wonder why you never put one on.

• ztsd

Posted April 10, 2006 - 09:28 PM

coast to coast? do you plan on sight seeing when you do it or just make a b line for california?

"Sight see" is the plan... I’d like to try the TransAm Trail... At least the easier parts of it...

Problem is I can’t seem to get my act together! Stuff keeps popping up pushing the trip further into the future... I’m looking at fall right now... Maybe next year so I can get some time in the saddle before I do something crazy...

Just bought my riding gear... FirstGear Trekker jacket, Joe Rocket ballistic and Phoenix pants and some Answer Mode boots...

Still have a bunch of stuff to do on the bike... Edelbrock, digital speedo, safety inspection sticker, luggage, ..., ..., and so forth...

Hey, check this out!

http://cycle-analyst...weet_Cheeks.htm

• ztsd

Posted April 10, 2006 - 09:31 PM

He'll be sight seeing for sure on the BRP. He's gonna have to stop and rest his ass...lol. That will be the ultimate monkey butt ride.

ztsd-The GPR stabilizer is awesome. It will definitely pay off on the street as will a fork brace(SRC) setup. Scotts makes another good stabilizer but I like the GPR for ease of use and the price was much better. GPR will also service the unit once/year for free aside from shipping. Ride a bike with one and you'll wonder why you never put one on.

Yeah, I’m looking to get a stabilizer, but I want it SUB with rubber mounted handle bar clamps. It’s in progress...

Your right about the monkey butt, but check the link above!
:thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:51 AM

Tom I can't argue that you'll have a blast doing it. Nothing like the smell of the great outdoors aboard a bike.

• ztsd

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:31 PM

I thought I’d update this thread for people considering plating a BRP in Massachusetts. I not only plated the bike (title transfer from VT.), but also got it successfully inspected. I took it to a Harley dealer that does inspections. I figured that if they pass the Harley choppers I see on the street, my bike would be a sure thing. It was. Of course, I was very careful about meeting all the inspection requirements and it paid off.

I took the bike to a Dualsport ride Sunday and it performed fantastically! I’m very pleased with the build and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. If your thinking about going the XR650R Dualsport route, I can tell ya it’s worth the effort!

Posted Image

More Info Here!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.