Dual Sport - Plating the XR650R in Massachusetts!

52 replies to this topic
  • ztsd

Posted October 19, 2005 - 02:31 AM

Dual Sport - Plating the XR650R in Massachusetts!

Email from the Registry November ’05.

"Thank you for contacting the Registry's website with your question. After you have the motorcycle converted you will need a letter from one of the Massachusetts motorcycle inspection sites on their letterhead stating that the bike will pass inspection. To register the bike you will need proof that the person who sold you the bike owned it. A bill of sale alone is not sufficient. If the bike was used for off road use you will need the owner's last certificate of registration and a bill of sale, plus a completed RMV-1 form (application for registration and title) stamped by your insurance company. Once you get the bike registered you have seven days to get it inspected."

• kehale

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:10 AM

It's much easier here in caliornia. They just tell you "no" now.

(unless you do a SPCNS title, but then it's not really a "Honda" anymore)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:31 AM

Dude, just bring the Certificate or Origion to the registry and pretent it's a street bike. You can either hope the person you get at the registry doesn't notice the "not intended for highway use" in red writing, or you can hound your local dealer for an official looking sticker to cover the offending text. Worked for me!!!

• TimBrp

Posted October 19, 2005 - 11:29 AM

I just went in and did it. No problems(except paying sales tax again, ugghh) for me. Guy put his arm over the "not highway" lingo.

• al_piv

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:55 AM

Tell ya what ztsd, ship the bike to me here in Indiana, the DMV here will plate just about anything except a 4 wheeler(they may even do that).
And I will ship it back to you. BTW shipping is on you.
Now the old saying from auto repair shops is "You want it back when? LOLOL"

• adam574

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:18 PM

this is very tempting.. i live in mass and wanted to get a dual sport.. i have already had a xr400 that was plated in nh so i had it done that way but i am getting a 650 during the winter and was goign to get the l because it was legal but if you say it was that easy then i am tempted to get an r... i would hate to be stuck with a bike that i couldn't register though

• Ferriswheel

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:16 PM

when I got my 'BSA in a basket' it had no title. it was last registered in 1973. I found a place in Alabama you ''sell'' the bike too. In AL all you need is a bill of sale for any vehicle 8 yrs old or older. they send you a 'bill of sale' then you fill it out...send it back , and they send you a AL tag/ title ETC . In Ohio you take the veh to a insp station where they verify the VIN , then the OH title was issued. This 'service' cost me 100.00 in 1988. They advertize in 'Wallneck's classic cycle trader' . hope this helps? Dave

• ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:02 AM

Hope we don’t get that bad here... Thirty years ago, my bud and I bought the first CanAm 250MX bikes in our area. We made a deal with the dealer to swap the street gear from a couple of 175 enduro bikes on to the 250’s and we registered them... Think about it, the hottest MX bike, at the time, plated! Loud, fast and fun! The throttle was more like a front wheel elevation control... Had a lot of fun on those bikes. Unfortunately the frame on mine was painted on a Friday.

• ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:03 AM

Dude, just bring the Certificate or Origion to the registry and pretent it's a street bike. You can either hope the person you get at the registry doesn't notice the "not intended for highway use" in red writing, or you can hound your local dealer for an official looking sticker to cover the offending text. Worked for me!!!

Hah! Creative! Thanks for the idea!

• ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:04 AM

I just went in and did it. No problems(except paying sales tax again, ugghh) for me. Guy put his arm over the "not highway" lingo.

Cool! I'll give it a try...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:07 AM

Tell ya what ztsd, ship the bike to me here in Indiana, the DMV here will plate just about anything except a 4 wheeler(they may even do that).
And I will ship it back to you. BTW shipping is on you.
Now the old saying from auto repair shops is "You want it back when? LOLOL"

Oh, OK! :banghead:

The bike is in the mail... Let me know when you get it! :banghead:

• ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:10 AM

this is very tempting.. i live in mass and wanted to get a dual sport.. i have already had a xr400 that was plated in nh so i had it done that way but i am getting a 650 during the winter and was goign to get the l because it was legal but if you say it was that easy then i am tempted to get an r... i would hate to be stuck with a bike that i couldn't register though

Cool! The first post came right from the RMV! I’m going for it... Shoot me an email and we can talk!

• ztsd

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:21 AM

when I got my 'BSA in a basket' it had no title. it was last registered in 1973. I found a place in Alabama you ''sell'' the bike too. In AL all you need is a bill of sale for any vehicle 8 yrs old or older. they send you a 'bill of sale' then you fill it out...send it back , and they send you a AL tag/ title ETC . In Ohio you take the veh to a insp station where they verify the VIN , then the OH title was issued. This 'service' cost me 100.00 in 1988. They advertize in 'Wallneck's classic cycle trader' . hope this helps? Dave

Good info! I'll keep it in mind. From what the RMV said, I shouldn't have a problem...

• adam574

Posted March 15, 2006 - 04:01 PM

had a question about getting this done... when you say you ahve to get it inspected by a motorcycle inspection station do you mean anyplace that does the regular stickers can do this or are there special shops that have to inspect a bike for something like this.

• 4whlfun

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Here in Phoenix Arizona only thing they are concerned with is if you passed emissions after that they ask if you have all the equip. for the street. Horn, mirror,headlight, taillight, brakelight. :thumbsup: No inspection. :thumbsup: To bad California :bonk:

• MindBlower

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Oh, OK! :thumbsup:

The bike is in the mail... Let me know when you get it! :thumbsup:

Not sure where he's at, but state law says police inspection first, then registration.

• dukeryder

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:02 PM

had a question about getting this done... when you say you ahve to get it inspected by a motorcycle inspection station do you mean anyplace that does the regular stickers can do this or are there special shops that have to inspect a bike for something like this.

The local SUNOCO station probably a'int gonna inspect your bike. It's been a few years since I moved outta Mass, but when I lived there you had to have the bike inspected at a Bike Shop that was also an inspection station.

ValleyMotorsports was the only one I knew of in my area that did bikes. But I know in 2000 they changed the inspection crap alot.

• adam574

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:58 PM

i know know where to get the regular inspection sticker but i wasn't sure if this inspection to see if the bike is road worthy is different... kinda like when you fix a salvage title car you need to get it inspected by the state police.

• TimBrp

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:07 AM

Just take your "dirty" title and paperwork and go into the registry with your fingers crossed. The worst they can say is no. I did this and walked out with a plate in hand 20 minutes later. Where in MA are you, I can suggest a few registry's to try. PM me.

• adam574

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:05 PM

do you know what people mean when they say they ahve to bring the tags to date. it seems that can be expensive also, and do you have to do that in mass at all or is it just registration,title, and sales tax.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.