replacing hot start plunger?

9 replies to this topic
  • INJURY_69

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:59 AM

I am trying to replace my plastic (stripped) hot start plunger but I can't figure how to get it off :banghead: so I can put the new plastic one on.

The diameter of the cable just gets larger toward the hot start lever,so it won't slide up and out that way . . . and it doesn't pull out other way either because the actual plunger part (not plastic) is too large in diameter as well.

Thx in advance for any help.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 19, 2005 - 04:36 AM

You should be able to slide the plastic nut up the cable. Underneath the plastic nut is a spring and a silver plunger. Inside that silver plunger, you should be able to see a hole underneath the spring that is holding onto the end of the cable. Pull the spring back and manipulate the silver plunger so you can get it off the end of the cable.

Once the silver plunger is off, the spring and plastic nut will slip off as well.

• Satch0922

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:31 PM

If anyone needs a stock plunger for the 00-02 426 I have two laying around....

• Ga426owner

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:05 AM

You should be able to slide the plastic nut up the cable. Underneath the plastic nut is a spring and a silver plunger. Inside that silver plunger, you should be able to see a hole underneath the spring that is holding onto the end of the cable. Pull the spring back and manipulate the silver plunger so you can get it off the end of the cable.

Once the silver plunger is off, the spring and plastic nut will slip off as well.

I advise everyoine who ever removes that plastic nut on the carb to replace it with a metal on - zip ty 12.00
It strips so easy that it will never seat properly....POS design :banghead:

• FFRacing79

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:14 AM

I advise everyoine who ever removes that plastic nut on the carb to replace it with a metal on - zip ty 12.00
It strips so easy that it will never seat properly....POS design :banghead:

What are you using?? A Cresent wrench?? :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 20, 2005 - 08:51 AM

What are you using?? A Cresent wrench?? :banghead:

No... I believe a 10mm open end wrench. The nut is really soft plastic the threads strip very easy.

• 97chevy

Posted October 20, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Yeah even know the plastic is soft, you don't need to torque it on there. Just a nice snug fit will work. I have taken my hot start fitting on and off many times and i have never stripped it.

• FFRacing79

Posted October 20, 2005 - 04:33 PM

No... I believe a 10mm open end wrench. The nut is really soft plastic the threads strip very easy.

No, actually it is a 14mm, with knurls on it to start with your FINGERS!

• joshb

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:07 PM

When I replaced mine with the Dr. D bar hot start kit I had to take the carb off the bike so I could fit the wrench in there. I didn't see anywhere to start it with the fingers.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:18 PM

No, actually it is a 14mm, with knurls on it to start with your FINGERS!

I guess I fat fingered it... :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.