xrl fork issue

8 replies to this topic
  • onaXR

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hard to explain by typing but, when compressing the forks are fine when the extend they go click. Kinda like they are topping out. Not hard just a soft click on the street but a nice deep hole they pop pretty loud, when it comes out.
what is this? The forks have no air added and rebound adjuster is about midways.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Are they topping? Could be a lack of fork oil letting them rebound too quick.

• onaXR

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:17 AM

Yes, I think so. anybody have the amount of oil spec to put back in them after I drain them and start over?

• Scott V

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:50 AM

The manual says 19.1 US oz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • onaXR

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:08 AM

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Dumb Question: How exactly do you change your fork oil? I think im due for a change.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:56 PM

That's a strange problem. I once destroyed the internals of the forks on my '97 XR400R. I had to buy some used (but nicely modified) forks from Richard Thorwaldon Jr the day before the 1998 Virginia City Grand Prix. It would have been more expensive to fix them.

My '95 650L has had its forks serviced once. Back in 2000. It still has the original seals and bushings. Over 50,000 miles, races included.

• ghoti

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:21 AM

I would take them apart for a look see. You might try taking off the front wheel and see if both forks free extend the same amount. If not. the fork cap(s) may not be connected to the damper rod.

• onaXR

Posted October 20, 2005 - 02:59 PM

The caps are connected to the damping rod, I had them off to add 2 oz of fork oil to see if that changed the sound. It didnt so they are coming off this weekend for a look and fill.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.