new grey wire question

11 replies to this topic
  • nw scout

Posted October 17, 2005 - 06:37 PM

OK
So I took off the tank and checked the grey wire connection. I had the lap top in the garage and the link for the grey wire open to help guide me through the disconnection. It says the grey wire is located in one of the two, 2 pin connecter. The only grey wire I see is in the 6 pin connecter. I am not that handy in the tool department and am freeked out that I am going to disconnect the wrong wire.
I have checked this twice now thinking I got it wrong the first time.
Any guys out there in the west linn area wanna help me out.
The bike is a 06 wr 450
Thanks much
Dave

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted October 17, 2005 - 06:47 PM

Thats the one you want, the instructions you were looking at were probably for the 02 and older, the 03 and newer have the 6 wire connectors.

http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

• dbailey223

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:39 PM

The only tricky thing I found when doing the grey wire last week was hitting the right part of the connector to release the wire. I didn't get it right, and ended up ripping the thing out, and then after the fact, figuring out how to disconnect the connector. Oh well, won't be hooking it back up, and if I had to, I could put a new connector on.

• draver

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:16 AM

I'm in Portland up by Wilson High School. I've got an '05 WR450F and have done the grey wire mod, so if you still need some help send me a private message with phone number. Maybe we can go out to Brown's Camp and see how much difference it makes.

Dale

• enduro10

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Where do you feel the BIG difference with the gray wire cutted ? Open roads ? Tight trails ? High speed / low speed ?

Enduro10
WR450F '05

• Zach0509

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Where do you feel the BIG difference with the gray wire cutted ? Open roads ? Tight trails ? High speed / low speed ?

Enduro10
WR450F '05

De verdade, Acho que nao faz difference! Eu cortei meu e nao parece differente

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hybridz77

Posted November 11, 2005 - 12:56 PM

I mostly noticed a lil more aggressive off idle response, honestly seemed less prone to stalling down low. I have had no negative effects of grey wire mod the very slight hunting in idle speed noticed after the mod has had no effect of my lower speed riding
and launches.

• Jim X

Posted November 11, 2005 - 01:05 PM

The gray wire seems to be a way to get around EPA standards. The way they do it is, sell the bike with a throttle stop and then change the timing map to accomodate, but only in a certain spot.

So what you'll see is if you change the throttle stop but don't do the gray wire you will have a "sag" in the mid-throttle range where it doesnt have as much power as before and after that spot.

Removing the gray wire allows the computer to reset to the REAL timing map and fill in that sag.

• enduro10

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:46 AM

After 4 days of holydays and after cut the famous gray wire I can answer the question I posted last friday. It does make a big difference. I installed a switch to allow me to come back if I didn't like the result and used it only once. In a very steep rocky trail (near my home) I had a hard time to climb the way I use to ride my bikes. With the wire cutted I felt a lot of power down low and it took me some time to get used to. Then I turned the switch to the original configuration. The bike performed as I was used to. Enough power in low rpm and more controlable and could climb the rest of that trail. After that I was advised with whom I was playing with and spent all the days smiling inside my helmet and admiring the new bike I got. More low rpm power, way more high rpm power, whelling for nothing - no clutch needed, using at least one gear higher than before...Unbelievable !

'05 WR450
175 / 65 /
91 octanes with 25% of sugar cane alcohol
16 Km/l open roads
12 Km/l trails

• Jim X

Posted November 16, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Were you restarting the bike, shut it off completely and then restart with switch in a different position? If you don't do it that way you won't reset the ECU, just in case you didn't know. :applause:

• GasBoySun

Posted November 23, 2005 - 02:32 PM

I disconnected the grey wire tonight and I wasn't very impressed maybe cuz I just started it up and it was kinda cold I'm not sure, but right now I'm not impressed. There is a slight hessation with a quick snap of the throttle, and there seemed to be a large amount of power loss. I have a 06 wr 450 and I'm pretty new to this 4 stroke any help would be great. thanks

• vantolr

Posted November 23, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Thats the one you want, the instructions you were looking at were probably for the 02 and older, the 03 and newer have the 6 wire connectors.

http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

Yep, yep...correct!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.