Should I give up my Big Gun Race exhaust

8 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:53 PM

This is just thinking outloud but I'd love some input...I have a big gun that is holding up supurb with out problems since Jan 2001, but it is race core and loud if I ever get it onto the street. (still jumping hurdles) I hear people talking about all the other brands out there but never paid much attention due to being happy with a functioning exhaust. But I think I'd like to look into an exhaust that performs better than Big Gun Race primarly and if it happens to be quiter (which I couldn't imagine one being louder) then it'd be a plus.

What is the general concensus in better performering exhaust?

• qadsan

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:07 PM

I think you'll get more bang for the buck from a $150 cam than you'll get from changing your current exhaust. If you need a quieter system, I can understand that, but I wouldn't expect an earthshattering change in performance from a new pipe, although you'll likely get some low to mid range performance back with a smaller header if you go that route.

• bigtom17

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:32 PM

I have the big gun race series, I later bought the quiet core that slides in it. It takes is down a few notches in sound. I have entered some races and it only would pass with the quiet core in, it is still at around 98 db with the quiet core. I agree with quadsan, I don't think a different pipe is going to get any more power for you. I have never had the balls to get a hot cam, but I hear it is the way to go to maximize your HP the pig makes.

• J_T

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thanks...I'll keep what I have and if sound turns out to cause trouble I will look into the quite core!

I'll keep the cam in mind...I'll have to do some research on reliability changes with a stage 1 cam and such.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted October 17, 2005 - 06:28 PM

If you want a quiet core i have one you can have you pay the shipping, 5/10 bucks I'm guessing

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 18, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Yeah.....just get a quiet core.....there pretty much just restricts exhaust flow.....causing a loss in power, but it should quiet it down a ton.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:53 PM

Im going to back pedal here a bit...

Your worried about the sound on the street?

Have you not noticed the hundred million big inch Harleys running around with open exhaust?

I could understand wanting it quieter so you didnt loose you mind while you were riding it though...

• BlueBayou

Posted October 18, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Although crude, I do believe loud pipes save lives.

Maybe they can't see you, but they can hear you in their blindspot.

• twowheels

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:28 PM

My xr650r, which I bought used, had a full Big Gun Race system on it. The damn thing was so loud that even after repacking it, I decided to put the "quiet tip" on it. The change messed up jetting significantly and the bike started burning way, way too rich and getting terrible gas mileage. 200 miles after I repacked it with the "Big Gun" kit, it had blown 80% of the packing out. I pulled the muffler off and measured it against the stock muffler. WIth minor modification, I was able to mate the Big Gun headers to the stock muffler (2" holesaw removed the baffle on the muffler, but not the spark arrestor). The bike sounds good (read: not deafeningly loud), and I think it breathes way better than the Big Gun quiet tip. ymmv

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.