Yz450f raliability?

12 replies to this topic
  • ADMIRAL

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:22 PM

These bikes reliable or what? how do they compare to the crf and rmz?

• del_scorcho

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Very reliable. Only oil and filter changes to my 03. Never had a problem.

• rucka356

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:54 PM

I've owned a 400, 426, and now a 450. I have never had any problems out of them. Checked the valves once a year and thats it. Never had to adjust them either. Clean airfilter with regular oil changes and your yamaha will run forever!

• Satch0922

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:36 PM

just browse this forum and then go browse the CRF RMZ forums....you will see a difference in the subjects of the most of the threads.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Without a doubt, the YZF's are THE most reliable of all the moto thumpers. I've had anvils that give me more trouble.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:28 PM

My '03 still has not needed its first valve adjustment, and only oil and tires have been replaced.

It is unfair to compare the reliablity of a YZF to that of a CRF or RMZ. Toyotas and sundials would be a better choice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt116

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:56 PM

I had to replace the 3rd gear set twice (wheel and pinion) .
The plastic chain slider on the swingarm actually wore through the swingarm right where the cast piece and the tube piece are welded together.
The machined alum part where the fork seals go, it's just a pressed on part and mine have come loose from the fork tubes. Enough oil comes out to collect a good amount of dust. I never had any top end problems at all. I rode the bike on average about 2 times a week for 2yrs and I will be buying a 06'.

• smokin529

Posted October 17, 2005 - 07:45 PM

I've been racing and riding my '04 YZ450 for two years now and the top end is still in excellent shape. I have had problems with the rear brake master cylinder, but that is all. I WILL be getting an '06 for sure!

• MotoGoalie

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:42 AM

It is unfair to compare the reliablity of a YZF to that of a CRF or RMZ. Toyotas and sundials would be a better choice.

Bwahahahahaa :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:35 PM

yes they are reliable............CRF and RMZ mucho mas maintenance......... :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:57 PM

I had to replace the 3rd gear set twice (wheel and pinion) .
The plastic chain slider on the swingarm actually wore through the swingarm right where the cast piece and the tube piece are welded together.
The machined alum part where the fork seals go, it's just a pressed on part and mine have come loose from the fork tubes. Enough oil comes out to collect a good amount of dust. I never had any top end problems at all. I rode the bike on average about 2 times a week for 2yrs and I will be buying a 06'.

Well, I'm not sure what you did to break the transmission twice, and I haven't seen the seal boss work off of a top tube before, but the slider problem is common to all YZ and YZF models. You can fix it by using a DesignWorks slider, gluing down the original, or You Can Do it My Way :banghead:

• BergArabia

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Nice one Gray..
I have a new 05 YZ450. but I am going to keep a close eye on the slider and when it needs changing I think I'll do your mod..:banghead:

• matt116

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Nice work on the swingarm guard.
I should of said, I had to replace the gears do to pitting on the tooth face not a total gear failure.
As for the seal boss's I know 2 other guys that had there forks do the same thing

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.