86 xr600r

9 replies to this topic
  • timothypg

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I've got a 86 xr600r. has been idle for 6 yrs. less than 5000 mi. or so. i had it in az. for the desert, now i'am in wi. i have been getting it back in shape and have it licensed. it still has all kinds of power. dual 28mm carbs. i opened up the air box, had it re-jetted . wraped the headers to keep it a little cooler and took out the arrestor. aside from that it is stock. i plan on keeping this bike forever and ever, something fun to work on. the next thing i would like is exhuast, any suggestions? eventually i would like to bore it maybe even high comp. piston. but i almost go flying when it kicks back as it is, i only weigh 150 lbs. it scares me to think how it would be with engine mods. any suggestions? :banghead:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Getting pipes for these older XR's getting tough. Ive only found one place that even entertained it without having to give them the bike. XR'sOnly can get it done.

They'll do a full motor for you too, big 630 kits and kinds of stuff...

Id like to be able to ditch the dual carbs but I cant see how a single carb manifold would work in the stock frame, even if you figured out the air box boot. One runner would have to be way longer than the other. If anyone has any insight to this, Im all ears...

• don87xr600

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Getting a pipe shouldn't be hard.The same pipe fits all these years, Honda XR600 '85-87/'91-98/'00 . FMF still has one in their catalog.

• don87xr600

Posted October 17, 2005 - 05:04 PM

Getting pipes for these older XR's getting tough. Ive only found one place that even entertained it without having to give them the bike. XR'sOnly can get it done.

They'll do a full motor for you too, big 630 kits and kinds of stuff...

Id like to be able to ditch the dual carbs but I cant see how a single carb manifold would work in the stock frame, even if you figured out the air box boot. One runner would have to be way longer than the other. If anyone has any insight to this, Im all ears...

Go to online parts microfiche and check it out to get an idea how Honda did it.

• XR6's_rule

Posted October 18, 2005 - 02:02 AM

I would keep the dual carbs, get them working right and enjoy their benefits. There is no real advantage with the single carb except it is easier to remove and rejet. The single carb isn't perfect, it has a DODGY choke butterfly that should be scrapped as a rule, and a sticky throttle action from fully closed for which there is no known cure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:37 AM

IF I was to swap the carb, I would put a CV or the stock style single. Id put an FCR-mx on there for two reasons.

I can get them off ebay pretty easily

And I know them like the back of my hand...

• Mantrasonica

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:59 AM

IF I was to swap the carb, I would put a CV ...

Yer trippin. CV Carbs are junk

• timothypg

Posted October 18, 2005 - 10:57 AM

I've got the carbs working about as good as can be. would love to have pumpers but that would cost a pretty good amount of cha-ching, that is if i could get them synchronized and all that. for exhaust xr's only has one, w/b e2,fmf titanium 4, pro circuit t-4 do you think that one of these stands out from the rest? i don't mean to have you guy's do my shopping for me, but if you have an opinion on any of the mod's i would like to do i would like to hear them. thanks

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 18, 2005 - 11:14 AM

Yer trippin. CV Carbs are junk

Not trippin, full on typeO

Should say wouldnt, not would... :banghead:

• timothypg

Posted October 22, 2005 - 01:04 PM

i had the shop re-jet the carbs up one size, clean the carbs and stuff. it ran great. or so i thought. i went and got the next size up, 125. put them in. NOW it runs great. the air/fuel is still only open a little less than one turn. maybe even bigger jets? how big do you think i dare go. :banghead:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.