2006 GYTR Flywheel weight

18 replies to this topic
  • SureBlue

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:36 AM

For 2006, only the heavier offroad flywheel weight is offered as follows:
Fits '03~'05 YZ450F
Inertia mass is [COLOR=Red]6.2kg-cm2[/COLOR] (stock is 3.6kg-cm2)
GYT-5TA97-50-50
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

For 2005, the website also acknowledges the lighter flywheel weight:
Fits '03~'05 YZ450F
Inertia mass is 1.4kg-cm2 heavier than stock (= [COLOR=Red]5.0kg-cm2[/COLOR]).
GYT-5TA97-50-00
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/1/detail.aspx

Does anybody know why the lighter GYTR flywheel weight is not offered for 2006 any longer? What is the stock inertia mass on 2006? I want to try a heavier flywheel, but is the offroad weight too heavy for a 45-year-old Sunday motocrosser? :banghead:

Anybody with GYTR flywheel weight experiences please help, thanks.

• FlynRyn

Posted October 17, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Rotor is different for the 2006 YZ450F. I am sure they are devloping a new one with added weight.

• SureBlue

Posted October 17, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, but
Holy Smoke, do you actually have a 2006 YZ450F already???
PICS and RIDE REPORT
PLEASE.

• FlynRyn

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:20 PM

Heh no I dont. I just have it on order. I doubt I will see it for a month or two at least.

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2005 - 09:41 PM

I really rather doubt, if I may say so, that you have any idea what the weight of the OEM flywheel is on the '06, either. Yamaha had a similar non-listing of the GYT-5TA97-50-00 for the '05 while it was a current model, and yet, all '03-'05 YZ450's are issued with the same 5TA-85550-00-00 flywheel rotor. You may be right, but be honest; you're guessing.

Sure Blue, wait and see what they come out with. The heavier of the two GYT-R 'wheels is equal to about 7.5 ounces over stock. Doug Dubach states that his 8oz makes the engine "more like a Honda", which is hardly sluggish.

I just swapped my old 4oz with Dr.D for an 8oz. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get around to trying it.

• SureBlue

Posted October 18, 2005 - 10:29 PM

I have my mind set on the heavier weight, so I'm looking forward to hearing your comments. Thanks.

• KillerMedic

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:05 AM

I just put my DR. D 8 oz. on my 450 tonight. I will be testing it this weekend on both MX tracks and woods/trails at Durhamtown. I will try to remember to give an update when we get back.

• Jetsprint2

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:33 AM

I just put my DR. D 8 oz. on my 450 tonight. I will be testing it this weekend on both MX tracks and woods/trails at Durhamtown. I will try to remember to give an update when we get back.

Make sure you give a report, I am considering adding wieght to my 04' 450. I read your other post and the bike wears on me pretty quick as well. It is fun power but it can be a hassel on long motos.

• SureBlue

Posted October 19, 2005 - 09:03 AM

..the bike wears on me pretty quick as well. It is fun power but it can be a hassel on long motos.

Precisely. Everybody who has done a 2- or 3-hour enduro race knows what we are talking about.. :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlynRyn

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:56 PM

I never professed to know the weight of the 06 rotor. I merely stated it was different than the 03 - 05 YZ450.

The stator on the 03 - 05 mounts to the crankcase, while the stator on the 06 mounts to the left case cover, similar to the WR minus the starter clutch and gear (displayed at the dealer show).

As for them (Yamaha) making a 06 450 rotor with additional weight, that was an educated guess based on past GYTR Rotors produced, so yes it was a guess.

• muddza

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:53 PM

I have just picked up the heavier GYT-R Flywheel (6.2 kg cm2) for my '05' YZ450 from my dealer today. I will be fitting it tonight/tomorrow for my ride this weekend, trouble is it looks like it will be raining here on the east coast of AUS all weekend (may not be the best time to report on it) but will be sure to comment as to how it goes.

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:31 PM

I never professed to know the weight of the 06 rotor. I merely stated it was different than the 03 - 05 YZ450.

The stator on the 03 - 05 mounts to the crankcase, while the stator on the 06 mounts to the left case cover, similar to the WR minus the starter clutch and gear (displayed at the dealer show).

If that were true, then how would the GYT-5TA97-50-50, which is nothing more than last year's 5TA-85550-00-00 with a 7.5 ounce ring welded to it, be able to interchange with the stock flywheel?

If you look at The left side of the '06 YZ450 engine, you'll see that there is no way a WR style inverted rotor/stator will go under the ignition cover.

• FlynRyn

Posted October 20, 2005 - 09:34 PM

If that were true, then how would the GYT-5TA97-50-50, which is nothing more than last year's 5TA-85550-00-00 with a 7.5 ounce ring welded to it, be able to interchange with the stock flywheel?

I am not sure what stock flywheel you are refering to here. If you mean the 06 YZ450F Flywheel, where on the website does it state that the GYT-5TA97-50-50 fits the 2006 YZ450F?

If you look at The left side of the '06 YZ450 engine, you'll see that there is no way a WR style inverted rotor/stator will go under the ignition cover.

Believe me there is a way...

Here is the 05 YZ 450 Rotor
Posted Image

Here is the WR450 Rotor
Posted Image

Here is the 06 YZ450F Rotor
Posted Image

The last two images were taken directly out of the service manual for each motorcycle.

All of this is really irrelevant because it will be all too clear when someone makes a heavier flywheel of the same weight as last years and it shows up as a different part number.

• SureBlue

Posted October 20, 2005 - 11:36 PM

Posted Image

The last two images were taken directly out of the service manual for each motorcycle.

While you are giving me the link to the 2006 450 service manual -thank you - which BTW is not yet available anywhere as well as the parts catalog isn't either, please edit your misleading signature.
Common sense says you don't inform something you don't have. Having it on order is not yet having it.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2005 - 12:11 PM

I am not sure what stock flywheel you are refering to here. If you mean the 06 YZ450F Flywheel, where on the website does it state that the GYT-5TA97-50-50 fits the 2006 YZ450F?

Here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

Believe me there is a way...

Here is the 05 YZ 450 Rotor
Posted Image

Here is the WR450 Rotor
Posted Image

Posted Image

All of this is really irrelevant because it will be all too clear when someone makes a heavier flywheel of the same weight as last years and it shows up as a different part number.

Well, there's some misinformation somewhere, now isn't there? More than likely it's the accessory pages at the web site, rather than the service manual, especially if the past pattern holds. The GYT-5TA97-50-50 will certainly not interchange with the one illustrated for obvious reasons (like the taper cut in the opposite direction), and if/when a heavier accessory flywheel is introduced, it will have to have its own part number.

I see that I may have misinterpreted your first response to Sure Blue as stating that the information on the accessory page suggested that the '06 OEM flywheel is heavier than last year's. In fact, this would be the third year in a row, beginning with '04 that they've done the same thing with that particular listing.

• muddza

Posted October 23, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Hey I just got back from a weekend of mud, sweat and gears. Now after the numerous tanks of petrol I went through with the new Offroad GYT-R flywheel (6.5cm2) for my '05' YZ450F I have two things to say "Do It" The power delivery was awesome, the torque was their right off the bottom, taming that initial snap without taking any of the mid to high pull from the bike. Chopping the throttle I found to be a lot less harsh on the engine braking, instead of wanting to throw you over the handle bars the bike just wanted to keep gliding along a little more like a 2 smoke (engine braking still present a little). As for picking the front wheel up at the roll of the throttle, lets just say that the added throttle control had me holding wheelie's for what seemed forever (It has hugely made the bike smoother in its power delivery). Stalling has become a thing of the past, let the clutch out slowly with little to no throttle and your rolling away ever so gently (crucial in some of the conditions over the weekend). Ok as for the track, well I am definately not as tired or sore today as I was last monday without the flywheel install, I feel like I could skip work and take that 2 week trail riding holiday I have talked about ever so much. All in all I am gonna some this up "This bad boy just got badder" go ahead and do it, get the heavier flywheel your body will thank you.............

• tp3dxf

Posted October 23, 2005 - 12:06 PM

Don't forget that the 06 YZ is a 5 speed not a 4 speed. The addition of another gear changes everything. I am sure there will be a good flywheel weight offered for that bike.

• SureBlue

Posted October 23, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hey I just got back from a weekend of mud, sweat and gears. Now after the numerous tanks of petrol I went through with the new Offroad GYT-R flywheel (6.5cm2) for my '05' YZ450F I have two things to say "Do It" The power delivery was awesome, the torque was their right off the bottom, taming that initial snap without taking any of the mid to high pull from the bike. Chopping the throttle I found to be a lot less harsh on the engine braking, instead of wanting to throw you over the handle bars the bike just wanted to keep gliding along a little more like a 2 smoke (engine braking still present a little). As for picking the front wheel up at the roll of the throttle, lets just say that the added throttle control had me holding wheelie's for what seemed forever (It has hugely made the bike smoother in its power delivery). Stalling has become a thing of the past, let the clutch out slowly with little to no throttle and your rolling away ever so gently (crucial in some of the conditions over the weekend). Ok as for the track, well I am definately not as tired or sore today as I was last monday without the flywheel install, I feel like I could skip work and take that 2 week trail riding holiday I have talked about ever so much. All in all I am gonna some this up "This bad boy just got badder" go ahead and do it, get the heavier flywheel your body will thank you.............

Thanks mate, appreciate your report, it confirmed my beliefs. Has gray tested his already? Now if we just would see those new bikes soon. :banghead:

• KillerMedic

Posted October 24, 2005 - 12:36 AM

Hey Jetsprint, here ya go.... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=302228

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.