02 Yz426f

15 replies to this topic
  • mangler

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:05 AM

hey guys I'll be kicking it around here now that I just found my new love.

I am very happy with my newly acquired 02 426... :banghead: awesome power love the cornering it can handle, it has the easy start mod done (light blue wire) and hot start on the handle bars, seems to have upgraded jetting properly because the throttle response is insanely crisp. Plus it looks like the old stocks ones were in a baggy.

However ive been doing tons of research here on the low RPM hill climb stalls, I think I'll be increasing the Idle a tad, and probably dropping a tooth on the front sprocket to 13. To tell you the truth I got a hankering for the rekluse on this baby, I think i'd rather spend the 400.00 on the rekluse then the 200 on a weighted flywheel, Money better spent IMHO. I don't do tracks, mostly trail ride with my son, I love the technical stuff too.

For you experienced 426 trail riders out there, would you rather dump 200 into a flywheel, or just get rid of the problem all together with a rekluse? I'd hate to go spend the 200.00 only to end up spending the 400.00 later on to make me really happy.

Please no flames for not searching ive spent the last 2 days in the search feature and would like to get some fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Gregg

• yz_for_me

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:26 AM

The Rekluse is by FAR the better investment for trail riding. I have an '03 with a Rekluse and an 8oz flywheel. While the flywheel does make a noticeable difference and is definitely in improvement, the Rekluse makes a huge difference and is a vast improvement over stock. The flywheel makes the bike stall resistant where as the Rekluse makes the bike virtually stall-proof. If you're only going to buy one, the Rekluse is definitely the way to go IMO.

• 642MX

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:34 AM

I second the Rekluse. By far, the best mod you can do for the money. I'll never own another bike without an autoclutch. I ride MX and woods and it works perfectly for both.

• mangler

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Thanks guys, are they tough to install? ive looked at the instructions seems pretty simple for the most part. Or did you guys drop the bike at a dealer?

• 642MX

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Thanks guys, are they tough to install? ive looked at the instructions seems pretty simple for the most part. Or did you guys drop the bike at a dealer?

After you read the instructions 3 or 4 times it goes pretty smooth. I have installed three Rekluses now (all on YZF's). The first one took me almost 2 hours, and the other 2 took about 45 minutes. Now, you do need to check your installed gap after the first ride (it will change). After that, they are almost maintance free.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:09 PM

Install is not bad. I think it took me about 2 hours. Like 642MX said, make sure to check your install gap after the first ride.

• kizzle426

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:36 PM

Congrats on the new bike :banghead: . I've had mine for almost a year and I can't say enough about it. Fairly soon, I'm going to do the 450 cam mod and get a Rekluse.

• mangler

Posted October 17, 2005 - 05:12 PM

Congrats on the new bike :banghead: . I've had mine for almost a year and I can't say enough about it. Fairly soon, I'm going to do the 450 cam mod and get a Rekluse.

Thanks man, so far i just love the bike going for a real maiden ride this weekend. Im trying to scrap up some cash to get the rekluse, but to tell ya the truth im a bit nervous about cracking open the side case on this baby lol.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mangler

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Got a clutch, wicked easy to install. Broke it in today, still within the proper gaps.

This is da bomb for this bike for sure. I am a believer of the Kluse! makes such a huge difference

Glad i didnt pick a flywheel over it :banghead:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Next, you need to put a 450 exhaust cam in there, then you'll be really happy with it! Enjoy the new bike, the 426 is a great trail steed when properly set up.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 19, 2005 - 08:30 PM

Got a clutch, wicked easy to install. Broke it in today, still within the proper gaps.

This is da bomb for this bike for sure. I am a believer of the Kluse! makes such a huge difference

Glad i didnt pick a flywheel over it :banghead:

Sweet! Glad you like it. Have fun! :banghead:

• darksun27

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:13 PM

ive never rode a bike with a rekluse cutch in it but i dont see what all the hipe is about. i guess im more traditional but i dont think i would spend $400 on a auto clutch. i have no problem with stalling my bike in the woods and we have the tightest trails around. i just havent read anything to convince me why i would buy one, except their great great great.

• mangler

Posted October 20, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Yep i felt the same way, loved having a clutch. But to tell you the truth with this bike I was stalling it pretty easy on technical trail stuff which was a pain for me.

I am no high speed rider by any means, and installing this clutch just amplified the fun factor for me by 10 fold. So much more relaxing I can blaze in and out of corners so much better, this clutch from my limited experiance with it just feathers so perfectly, much better then i could i guess.

Great option for the more casual rider i guess.

• 642MX

Posted October 23, 2005 - 03:28 PM

ive never rode a bike with a rekluse cutch in it but i dont see what all the hipe is about. i guess im more traditional but i dont think i would spend $400 on a auto clutch. i have no problem with stalling my bike in the woods and we have the tightest trails around. i just havent read anything to convince me why i would buy one, except their great great great.

Once you ride a bike with an auto clutch you will see what the hype is about. :banghead:

• darksun27

Posted October 23, 2005 - 07:01 PM

you know what, while i was riding today i thought how it might be if i had a auto clutch, then i started to notice how many times i had to grab for the clutch lever. now it makes sense to me how much of a improvement it would make. i wish it was cheaper and i would definally buy one. but if i spent that kinda money i would invest in a lighting system and a new graphics kit.

• Yak

Posted October 23, 2005 - 07:25 PM

love the cornering it can handle

If you like that, you should see what the 2006 250F will do. Unbelievably good handling. I've had an 02 426 for nearly 4 years now, so I know what you are talking about. Its handles good, until you ride a more recent bike like an 05-06.

Anyway, Im glad you like it. I loved mine too, and I still have a spot in my heart for the 426. Its such a good machine for all conditions. A true Jack of all trades. The motor is bulletproof....Heck, the whole bike is bulletproof!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.