is there a dual-beam lens/socket to fit stock XR650R?

16 replies to this topic
  • Zapp22

Posted October 17, 2005 - 07:01 AM

gang
i really despise the dual-beam headlight that i bought for my dualsport-project BRP. Either going to put a bracket on and try to find XR650L rig [hard to find] or this: is there a lens/assembly somewhere that will fit into the stock plastic shroud? I'm sure some of you have been down this road with yours. I want to get a stable, durably-mounted, AIM-able headlamp rig. plan to do a good bit of streeting to get to fun stuff so want it to be streetworthy.

any/all help greatly appreciated.

thanks guys
z

• supaflyryan

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:01 AM

I know it doesn't fit into the stock shroud but Acerbis makes some nice setups, one is DOT legal and the rest are just as good. I have the Blitz, which is the stacked headlight design like the Duke II. I replaced the stock 30W bulbs with 50W, and wired it so both lights are on all the time. It is MUCH brighter than my stock 650L lights, and looks a lot better too IMO. It isn't necessarily aimable, but with the stacked design, one has a more horizontal beam than the other. You can mount it to your fork legs with the supplied straps or you can fashion some sort of bracket very easily.

HTH

• Rockcrawlintoy

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:17 AM

i am running the acrbis cyclops its soo much more bright then the stock set up it has 2 beams and looks cool prolly has the same mount as the blitz also

DRew

• miguelitro

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:33 AM

you mean other than going with a glass lens and a higher out put bulb? that is what i've been recomended beffor going with 1000$ of light:D

Hey rockcrawlintoy- you got a tacoma and do some crawlin?
are you on TTORA by any chance?
Mike

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:59 AM

You can get a hi/lo bulb for the stock headlamp assembly. And you can pick how bright you want it too...

Fourstrokesonly has them. He's got one thats almost as bright as the sun according to his chart...

I just popped a 55w sylvania bulb into the OEM shroud of my old XR. Cost me 4 bucks at the AutoZone. All I had to do was cut the wire off the dead OEM lamp and make a jumper out of it with a stake on blade connector to connet to the bullet type connector on the bike. Its pretty freakin bright...

• supaflyryan

Posted October 18, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hey rockcrawlintoy- you got a tacoma and do some crawlin?
are you on TTORA by any chance?
Mike

What chapter are you in? When I lived in socal and had my Taco still I was somewhat active with them...but now I'm up in Norcal and sold the Toy for an XJ. I'm in a local club with Peter Parks from Parks Offroad, (TRD4ME). I actually designed the t-shirts this year for the Moab trip. What mods does your rig have?

• Zapp22

Posted October 18, 2005 - 06:02 PM

SHAWN
You're telling me something I need to understand. Every dual-filament bulb thingy I'm familiar with has a different socket-setup than the stocker. in other words [i know you guys know this] the single filament running bulbs have one type of socket, and the dual filament bulbs will not fit them... they only fit a different, dual-filament-type of socket [so much for standardization].
BUUUUUUUTTTTT, what you're saying reverses all that. There is a dual, hi-lo beam BULB that will tap into the stock socket? I need brand/part number or other instruction on how to locate!!!! that's what would circumvent all this mess, on both my DualSport projects: the XR650R and the DRZ400E.
PLEEEEEESE tell me more
z

• texsurfer

Posted October 19, 2005 - 12:38 PM

I put my big BDesigns on for inspections and replace with the stock unit after I get the sticker. i don't ride on the streets enough at night to warrant anything better and night time trail riding with a 55W vs 35W just isn't going to be much better. i actually sold my first 650R like that and kept my BD kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • al_piv

Posted October 20, 2005 - 04:11 AM

To help keep this thread alive --SHAWN, I too am interested in how you did this..
Please, Please post it here.

• Zapp22

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:00 AM

well i went to the honda shop and asked all the questions again. nothing. nada. no help. one suggested that the lens from a WR426 is about the same size as the XR's stocker, so I posted on their forum asking for some dimension info.
i'm stuck in neutral.

the socket-adapter thing on 4-strokes-only however looks like the best runner up, just a lotta money for it, considering what it is. but then, i ain't seeing alternatives, except to fab mounting hardware and get some factory pieces, like I said, from DR650, DRZ-S, 650L, TTR, TW225, KLR250, KLRKLR, et al........
z

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 20, 2005 - 02:36 PM

To help keep this thread alive --SHAWN, I too am interested in how you did this..
Please, Please post it here.

My setup is a single element bulb...

But like I said, you can get the stuff you need from Fourstrokesonly.com

Look here for conversions

Check his hours. They are funky to say the least. I spoke to him the other day, seemed like a nice guy...but might be heavy on the flakeyside... :banghead:

But I havent found anybody else with this same stuff...

With that high/lo conversion you'll need a switch to pop back and fourth...

Good luck!

• Zapp22

Posted October 21, 2005 - 05:41 AM

shawn, you're right... it looks like that converter thing will do the job. i tried calling him yesterday during the stated hours, but no answer.
i'll have to stay at it i suppose... more delays.

z

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 21, 2005 - 11:54 AM

Ive come to the conclusion that Andy MacLaughlin is a jackass. I wouldnt bother to order anything from him again. There's gotta be another place that offers the same stuff...

Id think Eletrex, Steahly, Ricky Stator or somebody can get the same stuff...its just conveying what you want to them...

maybe you could direct some folks to his site and show them the pics of what you want?

If you type in the PN for the Stanley bulb or lens cover you get these gigantic industrial light distributors...I know theyve got the stuff...thats how I cross referenced the bulb for my light in front with the Autozone part

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 22, 2005 - 11:26 AM

Ive come to the conclusion that Andy MacLaughlin is a jackass. I wouldnt bother to order anything from him again. There's gotta be another place that offers the same stuff...

Id think Eletrex, Steahly, Ricky Stator or somebody can get the same stuff...its just conveying what you want to them...

maybe you could direct some folks to his site and show them the pics of what you want?

If you type in the PN for the Stanley bulb or lens cover you get these gigantic industrial light distributors...I know theyve got the stuff...thats how I cross referenced the bulb for my light in front with the Autozone part

Wouldnt you know it...the second I call shit on the guy my stuff show up... :banghead:

He's got the stuff most guys will need to D/S thier XR's. And he's got the best selection too...

:banghead: :lol:

So, I appologize for baggin on him...and will say this. He's kinda slow, but I got my stuff... :busted:

• al_piv

Posted October 23, 2005 - 04:59 PM

So what exactly did you order, do you have the part numbers ?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 23, 2005 - 06:47 PM

I ordered the dual element tail light assembly so Id have a brake light and a mechanical brakelight switch. Took me all of 30 minutes to mount the brakelight switch, the taillight and to wire the thing up. And I had to make the mount, but it was easy and I got it mounted up behind the side plate to its not in the way of anything or vulnerable to a rogue foot.....

The tail light was a universal fit or XR650 replacement.

• al_piv

Posted October 24, 2005 - 04:34 AM

I ordered the dual element tail light assembly so Id have a brake light and a mechanical brakelight switch. Took me all of 30 minutes to mount the brakelight switch, the taillight and to wire the thing up. And I had to make the mount, but it was easy and I got it mounted up behind the side plate to its not in the way of anything or vulnerable to a rogue foot.....

The tail light was a universal fit or XR650 replacement.

Oh, I've done that much already, I thought you were talking about hi/low beam for the headlight....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.