Voltage output of blue neutral wire

10 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted October 17, 2005 - 05:18 AM

G'day, my bikes part at the moment,
i was wondering if anyone knew the output voltage of the blue wire, whilst in neutral?
i want to hook up an LED neutral light indicator and was wondering what ohm resistor to use.
thanks for any input :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 17, 2005 - 09:34 AM

PM our forum resident hot dogger "ddialogue" he has an LED neutral indicator light and an ignition key added to his WR450! :banghead:

• ARin

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Brettv, if you find this information, please post it here...i am now interested in this also.

• ETP

Posted October 17, 2005 - 05:35 PM

The following is some info that ddialogue sent me a while back to hook up a neutral light:

"Put the bike in neutral. Locate the blue wire coming from the neutral switch and put a break in it (I pulled it from the plug.) Test continuity...this will only go to ground when the bike is in neutral. Install a diode (1N4148, I think) with the banded side towards ground. Connect one leg of bulb/led to the other side of the diode. Connect the other leg of the bulb/led to your power source. Test and wrap it all back up.

The neutral light "out" should go on the banded end of the diode... on the same end as the neutral switch. This isolates the CDI from the 12v coming from the power source."

I used a jumbo LED that was designed for 12 volts, so I didn't need a diode. Pretty easy job to do.
Anyone know where to find a jumbo "blue" LED?

• bg10459

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:50 AM

I bought some really bright LED's from these guys to make a tail light for my Husky
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Also try Radio Shack

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:19 AM

no worries, thanks for the info, will post results when done

• ARin

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:06 AM

Brett, take some pics of the process...im still not able to picture the wiring diagram.

• byggd

Posted October 18, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Brett, take some pics of the process...im still not able to picture the wiring diagram.

I'd like to add one too. With the Rekluse it's hard to tell at times :banghead:

• Brettv

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:11 PM

hehe, im not too sure either, but will definately do a write up when done :banghead:

• wcrhillbilly

Posted October 18, 2005 - 05:46 PM

ok i saw that aswell on my wiring diagram for my wr400f when i was adding a battery to my bike. I also noticed we should be able to hook it up to a led light that will tell us exactly what gear we are in. so if someone figures that out or just the neutral i would love to get the low down aswell. btw the keyed ignition is what im leaning on doing next. ill run a searc on TT and see what i come up with!

• Gadsen

Posted October 18, 2005 - 06:42 PM

G'day, my bikes part at the moment,
i was wondering if anyone knew the output voltage of the blue wire, whilst in neutral?
i want to hook up an LED neutral light indicator and was wondering what ohm resistor to use.
thanks for any input :banghead:

About any resistor in line on the LED will work, maybe the same resistance at a bulb, but you should be able to do one with 25-50% more resistance than the bulb itself. I'd just use a 200 Ohm, should work just fine to run an LED

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.