Options for head/cam journal fix

6 replies to this topic
  • skin290

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:56 AM

Hey guys

I ran the oil out of my 03 YZ 450 (on accident, obviously) and screwed up the intake cam and journal on the head. I am wondering what anyone else has done to get this fixed and what you found to be the most economical option, new head, repair, etc. If any of you have done the reweld and rebore option, let me know about how much it cost please. BTW, I can get a new head assy from my dealer for $500 ($90 less than MSRP). I have all winter to fix it, so something like ebay or another option like that could be an option, since it doen't have to be done by next week or anything.

thanks

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted October 17, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Mike at Edco does an excellent job of repairing the journals, for far less than the cost of a new head.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2005 - 08:41 AM

Mike at Edco does an excellent job of repairing the journals, for far less than the cost of a new head.

http://www.enginedynamics.com/

You can debate over who does better competition valve jobs, but there's no doubt about this. Send it to EDCo.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skin290

Posted October 17, 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the tip, I called him and it will probably be about 1/5 of the price of a new head to get it repaired :banghead: , has anyone ever done this and had the valves bend or anything like that, everything else in the engine seemed fine, except for the intake cam and its journals, but I will take the valves out soon and check them as well.

• FFRacing79

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:52 AM

Mike is the Man at this repair. Did me a fine job. Tdub

• DigilubeJay

Posted October 22, 2005 - 02:03 AM

I suggest taking that saved money and also purchasing some Kibblewhite valves and springs. Your wallet will love you down the road for it.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 22, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the tip, I called him and it will probably be about 1/5 of the price of a new head to get it repaired :banghead: , has anyone ever done this and had the valves bend or anything like that, everything else in the engine seemed fine, except for the intake cam and its journals, but I will take the valves out soon and check them as well.

engine dynamics is definately the way to go. I siezd the intake cam on my yz400 and buggered up the journals. Engine Dynamice fixed me up for like $100. Bike is still running fine to this day.

Definately send it to them. Highly recomended :banghead: :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.