My motor needs help!!

8 replies to this topic
  • rokklym

Posted October 16, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well, Looks like I need to get some work done on the motor of my 02 XR650L over the winter. Its looking like its going to need new piston & rings but we'll have to see once we get into it. I put about 7000 miles on it this year and at one point I dumped the bike and unknown to me, the shifter cracked the case cover resulting in oil loss. Well, by the time I realized I was leaking oil I had ridden it pretty hard with very little oil. After that, I started noticing I was losing oil and smoking a bit. Now, its getting to the point of needing up to 1/2 quart every 250 miles or so.
So, here is what I'm looking at.
If i need to get the cyclinder honed, I'll need a bigger piston right? anyone know where I could get one? At first I was thinking about a higher comp piston but I don't know if thats an option. I'm going to put on an XR400 oil cooler this winter too.
Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd like to hear it. I know these bikes are bulletproof but I managed to do it. I'd like to get this thing done right and made super reliable.
Thanks

• J_Daniels

Posted October 16, 2005 - 08:44 PM

Check out Rocky Mountain (www.rockymountainatvmc.com), they have about the best prices. They don't show a piston for the L, but I bet they can get one.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:25 PM

What about www.servicehonda.com for parts?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 17, 2005 - 04:50 PM

If i need to get the cyclinder honed, I'll need a bigger piston right?

Not necessarily. If you need a bore, you'll need a piston. But Id replace the piston and rings with a fresh hone and your ready to go.
Not sure if the XR650 has a nickasil liner or not. So...you may know more about that than I do. If its got an iron liner, just punch it and go with the over bore piston. If its Nickasil, just hone the plated bore and rock and roll. A higher compression piston can certainly be had. ProX and Wiesco and possible even JE. IF JE makes one, Id go with it. Damn good stuff JE...

If it ran low on oil, you want to check the cam lobes for scoring. And you want an eagle set of eyes on the crank too. The clutch basket/hub bushing doesnt like going dry either.
If it just ran low on oil, they're probably ok. If it ran without oil, and it will, for a remarkably long time, a lot more attention should be paid to everything. Your best indicator will be the debris in the oil filter. Cut it apart and find out what's in there. You'll find stuff, aluminum spec's, not that big of a deal. Aluminum paste, no bueno, must find source. A paste thats magnetic (iron) is worst case scenario. If it were me, Id change ever dang bearing the engine. If I found iron that is...You'll find some stuff because of the trans, its just being able to read the stuff is the key.

If you can post a pic of the filter after you cut it apart and describe what you see myself and some others can tell you what you've got going there and give you some ideas on what your best move would be.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rokklym

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I took it to the local motor guru and he didn't think that there is much wrong with it, but I'm probably going to have him tear into it over the winter. He knows his stuff so he'll know what to do.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:31 PM

www.xrsonly.com has a 200 dollar piston and rings set.... www.denniskirk.com has a 100 dollar weisco piston and rings.....like 4 different sizes. should be like 60 to get it BORED and honed. possable a resleeving depending on how many times it has been bored. high compression is the way to go, 11.5/1.

• rokklym

Posted October 20, 2005 - 06:06 PM

www.xrsonly.com has a 200 dollar piston and rings set.... www.denniskirk.com has a 100 dollar weisco piston and rings.....like 4 different sizes. should be like 60 to get it BORED and honed. possable a resleeving depending on how many times it has been bored. high compression is the way to go, 11.5/1.

Thanks dude.
I'm not sure if I'm going to bump up the compression a bunch or not.
I might get a DRZ 400 and if I do, I'll probably put in a higher compression piston , stage 1 hotcam and an exhaust on the XRL in the future. If I don't get the DRZ, I'll probably just do what neccessary to get the XRL reliable. I need a bike that can run low octane gas and is bullet proof for future trips.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 21, 2005 - 05:22 AM

If your looking for a bulletproof motor that will run on low octane gas (reccommend you use 92 octane anyway) I would rebuild it as close to stock as possible, depending on the condition of your cylinder wall upon dissassembly and inspection you may be forced into a once or twice over bore and new piston. If it looks okay then simply hone and new rings on your stock piston. Go over the head thoroughly (Best done by a machine shop, like XR's only etc). While it is apart inspect and clean everything, replace as requird. If you have the bucks ... the best thing to do is ship the entire engine to someplace like XR's only or Powroll, that way all will be gone over by professionals, crank, connecting rod, head journals, bearings etc. At a minimum I would send them the head and jug for rework.

• rokklym

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Thanks
I always run premium when I can, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

I guess whatever I do depends on what we find inside the motor this winter when we tear it out. Thanks for the help everyone!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.