426 vs. crf450

8 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted October 16, 2005 - 06:48 PM

This post is for all the guys who have a 426 and wonder about how it stacks up to a crf. I gotta admit to being a Honda guy at heart. I recently picked up an '02 crf. Rebuilt it, tuned it, set it up. Took both bikes out to the track today. I was very happy with the crf. We all know it's quite a bit lighter, easier to ride, a very fun, cool bike. At first I was so happy with it I wasn't even gonna unload the 426. But what the hell, I had to do a back to back comparo. To my suprise, ole blue still rocks. I was afraid that it would feel cluncky next to the 450 and that I wouldn't want to ride it anymore. No way. That thing still rips despite it's weight. It gives nothing up to the 450 in the motor department, and still clears anything I'll attempt. So, suffice it to say, a well set up, carefully lightened up 426 is still a great bike. I'm gonna keep em both. :banghead:

• Yak

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Well, I agree and disagree...

I have a 2002 426 and have been riding an 05 CRF450 for some long rides in the last few months. The 426 cant turn like the CRF does. Not even close. Also the 426 motor, although excellent, doesn't snap open like the CRF motor. The CRF just revs faster. Bottom line, its a faster bike, as long as the rear wheel is hooking up. I think that the 426 pulls longer in the revs though.

I can definitely feel the weight difference between the two. The ergos on the 426 are far more relaxed and you sit deeper into the bike. On the CRF you sit ON the bike and it handles best when way up on the tank. The CRF is more aggressive, and you have to ride it aggressively to make it perform well. You can cruise the 426 around off-road style easier, and ride it more relaxed.

The CRF has much better suspension (stock) than the stock 426 suspension and the lack of engine braking in the CRF really makes it keep good speed in the corners, where the 426 kinda shuts down, unless you are a magician with throttle control.

I think that the CRF motor sound like a piece of junk. = Clackety-Clak-Clak. where the YZ motor just roars up to speed. I wonder how a motor that sounds as bad as the CRF motor is able to hold up. I have no confidence in its reliability. Even though its a "Honda" :banghead: :banghead:

If you aren't competitive the 426 is still a perfect bike for off-road and light MX duties, If you race and want to win, the CRF is easier to go fast on.

• FZ1426

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:58 PM

Notice I didn't mention the suspension. :banghead: The crf is better, especially the forks. But that's where the "well set up" part comes in. I think overall the weight accounts for almost everything you mention. The perceived quickness, the turning, and being easier to ride (fast). No doubt. The point is the (well set up) 426 is no slouch. And still a great bike. I'll keep it for the desert, the crf for the track...

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 19, 2005 - 07:55 PM

This post is for all the guys who have a 426 and wonder about how it stacks up to a crf. I gotta admit to being a Honda guy at heart. I recently picked up an '02 crf. Rebuilt it, tuned it, set it up. Took both bikes out to the track today. I was very happy with the crf. We all know it's quite a bit lighter, easier to ride, a very fun, cool bike. At first I was so happy with it I wasn't even gonna unload the 426. But what the hell, I had to do a back to back comparo. To my suprise, ole blue still rocks. I was afraid that it would feel cluncky next to the 450 and that I wouldn't want to ride it anymore. No way. That thing still rips despite it's weight. It gives nothing up to the 450 in the motor department, and still clears anything I'll attempt. So, suffice it to say, a well set up, carefully lightened up 426 is still a great bike. I'm gonna keep em both. :banghead:

Good summary FZ. I have a 426 and rode an 05 CRF450 for the 1st time last week. Ironincally, when I let my buddy who owned the CRF450 ride my 426, he was surprised in the power and how well it turned. (I thought the CRF turned better myself)

The suspension on the Honda was noticeably better and it had more of a 2-Stroke feel. The suspension on mine felt a little harsh after riding the CRF but I thought my 426 felt much more stable at high speeds in the ruts and whoops. Might be the additional weight of the bike. Both are good bikes. I race & ride my 426 in both hare scrambles & MX. A great bike for both. I can't wait to ride on 06 of any model... :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anssi

Posted October 21, 2005 - 12:31 AM

Well, I agree and disagree...

I have a 2002 426 and have been riding an 05 CRF450 for some long rides in the last few months.

There is a huge difference between an -02 and an -05 CRF450F. I´m already regretting I didn´t trade in my -03 YZ450F to a -05 CRF450F like my dad did.

• Tau

Posted October 21, 2005 - 01:10 AM

:banghead: Nice to see people that still post honest remarks on test no matter the model of bike. ( who wants to keep up to the Joneses). Interesting my friend has a new WR 05 450 and a 1999 Yz400 that he made a 450. he had a six speed box fitted to the 400 and ims tank. The only reason he got a new bike was because our mechanic refused to work on the 1999 as everything had to be replaced. He got the new 450 and then we had to fix his bike up. Everything is new from the motor to bearings and seals and fork oil. He is still convinced that his 6 year old stead will beat the 05 in a showdown. Those 1999- 2002 Yzf were the first in their class and they gave us the proper foundation of how reliable a bike should be. I remember riding a 426 at the age of 16 and thinking to myself oneday when I am big I want one. Well I got big and got a 525 sx it is fast and amazing but not as reliable as my friends 1999 yz. That is why at the end of 2005 I will be the proud owner of the original 450. The blue cruiser! :banghead:

• gmiles426

Posted October 21, 2005 - 03:58 AM

I rode a friends 03 crf450 and didn't like it. It felt gutless, there was no hit. The suspension was too soft and the brakes couldn't stop me.

• Satch0922

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:57 AM

There is a huge difference between an -02 and an -05 CRF450F. I´m already regretting I didn´t trade in my -03 YZ450F to a -05 CRF450F like my dad did.

Thank you...he is comparing an 02 to an 02. An 02 YZ426 is faster than an 02 CRF. Like anything else the ergos etc are left to personal preference. As far as suspension......everyone sets their bikes up so "out of the box" comparisions are irrelavent.

I have ridden an 02,03,04 and 05 CRF. I just don't look good in pink.....

• Anssi

Posted October 23, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thank you...he is comparing an 02 to an 02.

Oh, so he is. I don't know what I was thinking, somehow CRF450R still means "new" (as in -05 or so), probably because we now have one in the family.

I did try an -02 and it did feel weak compared to my -02 520 SX and my -03 YZ450F. I think Yamaha really jumped ahead in -03 but was lagging in -05. We´ll see what the -06s will do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.