Clutch problem 426yz 2000

3 replies to this topic
  • calvin71

Posted October 16, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Please help!

I just installed a new clutch kit (plates and springs) and when it is in gear and I pull in the clutch the bike will not roll freely. I was having this issue before I put the new clutch in and hoped this would correct the problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

I've tried adjusting the clutch lever and the push rod on the crank case with no success. Am I missing something?

• Hick

Posted October 16, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Well, unless the bike (and hence the oil and clutch) is warmed up the clutch will be very grabby, especially if you didn't get the new plates good and oiled before installation.

Even a perfectly functioning clutch will grab when it is cold, not running, and you are just trying to push it a few feet in your garage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxchamps

Posted October 17, 2005 - 09:54 AM

If your clutch basket is worn out (grooves in the basket fingers caused by the friction plates pounding them over time) it will feel ingaged even with the clutch in. You can get away with filing the groves down to make the surface smooth (one time), but the best fix is a Hinson basket.

• palmdaleRider

Posted October 17, 2005 - 12:09 PM

This happened to me. Just go out and ride it like you just stole it. It'll be fine afterwards.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.