Jetting help

5 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted October 16, 2005 - 11:28 AM

I just installed my JD kit and my zip Ty fuel screw. Right now I have the 170 main in and the blue needle at the 3rd clip the rest is stock. I have done all the free mods pulled the AIS, and I am running a PMB insert in the stock muffler. I have not pulled the plug yet but it seems to run fine all through the ranges. The problem I am having is with hot starts with the electric starter after the bike is warmed up. I can kick it and it fires off in one kick but when I use the starter it just coughs and does not want to catch. I have used the hot start, not used the hot start, adjusted the fuel screw from all the way in to 2 1/2 turns out with the same result. The bike starts fine cold and I am running about 250 ft above sea level. The battery is fully charged and spins the motor fine. I have a #48 PJ will this help this condition or is their something I am missing? :banghead: Thanks to all. :banghead:

• johunter666

Posted October 16, 2005 - 12:39 PM

I recently changed from red #5 to blue #3 in anticipation of some colder weather. The bike did not start as well and backfired on decel. I ended up going back to red # 5. I have the 165 main in as well. For the summer, the red #5 jetting set up was great--starts right up hot or cold and idles without using the choke. You might want to try this and see if it helps your situation. I will try going back to the blue needle when the weather really gets colder.

• bg10459

Posted October 16, 2005 - 01:28 PM

My bike had poor hot starting until I learned the trick. Push hot start and starter, nothing else. Works like a charm for me, assuming jetting is correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:16 PM

48 pilot should help with your hot starting. :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:18 PM

Note that Indy jetting experience from riding in 21 states and in all weather conditions reveals that the WR prefers red needle in 4, 5 or 6 and the blue needle in clips 3, 4 or 5 combined with main jet changes and fuel screw adjustments. :banghead:

• tony1970

Posted October 16, 2005 - 09:14 PM

Thanks guys! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.