Quiet down that skid.............

10 replies to this topic
  • vorra65

Posted October 16, 2005 - 11:16 AM

After installing my Utah skid, I noticed alot more vibration/resonance when standing up and over the tank area. I took it off and shot it with about 6 coat's of truck bed liner. It helped knock down the vibration/resonance from the engine area. Pic's-
Scuff up the plate first-

Then lay on a few coat's-

• tony1970

Posted October 16, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Great idea! Have you ran the bike very long with it and how is it holding up? What brand of bed liner stuff is it. I take it is spray on. I used cut up innertube strips along the frame rails and the front and that helped alot also. :banghead:

• simch

Posted October 16, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Skid plate foam is good for noise reduction too, and it stops getting clogged with mud.

• vorra65

Posted October 16, 2005 - 02:29 PM

About an hr. and it's all good so far. It's Duplicolor, purchased at the NAPA store. I'm pretty sure it's made by Krylon. Yah, I forgot to mention-that when I reinstalled the skid I used that foam backed tape on the frame rails.

• ddialogue

Posted October 16, 2005 - 03:36 PM

After installing my Utah skid, I noticed alot more vibration/resonance when standing up and over the tank area. I took it off and shot it with about 6 coat's of truck bed liner. It helped knock down the vibration/resonance from the engine area. Pic's-
Scuff up the plate first-

Then lay on a few coat's-

My buddy owns an Ameriguard franchise and I get my skid plate sprayed a couple of times each year. The only difference here is that I have the entire thing sprayed. The inside lasts forever, but the rocks chew up the under side eventually. I'm actually suprised how long it does last though! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vorra65

Posted October 16, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I was gonna do the Rhino lining thing also, gave this a shot first. Did spraying the whole skid do a good job with the vibration?

• mtrablue

Posted October 16, 2005 - 05:01 PM

i saved one of my old rim bands and used it. i never leave 'em on the wheel. finely found a use for 'em.

• ddialogue

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Did spraying the whole skid do a good job with the vibration?

I was surprised how much it really did. The important thing is to get a good layer between the skid plate and the frame. Coating the skid plate AND using some rubber on the frame when mounting would be your best bet. :banghead:

• msgbean

Posted October 18, 2005 - 12:16 PM

I noticed the noise with mine also. I ran a bead of silicone along the frame and let it cure before I installed the skid plate. Its been on for over a year and has never been noisy since.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 18, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Vorra... Very nice my friend... :banghead:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:47 PM

Vorra... Very nice my friend...

TRUE THAT!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.