xr650r decompressor/ hotcam advice

4 replies to this topic
  • xrmoto

Posted October 16, 2005 - 08:55 AM

I have a stage 1 hotcam. Just ordered a new cam sprocket flange to go onto the cam. As the hotcam does'nt have a decompressor on it, can i leave the cam as it is, just with camsprocket and two bearings.
Also does anything need to be taken out or adjusted in the rocker cover.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 16, 2005 - 12:14 PM

All you need is the flange to attach the gear to and it's a go. You can press that stuff off the old cam and onto the new one. Decompression stuff is not needed.

You will need to adjust your valves but that's it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmoto

Posted October 16, 2005 - 10:30 PM

Many thanks for the information

• Ramcc4x4

Posted November 21, 2005 - 08:00 AM

XRMoto, how did the rest of the install go? What is your impression of the cam after riding it? I will install my stage 1 cam Thursday.

• xrmoto

Posted November 21, 2005 - 02:23 PM

hi Ramcc4x4, I started the bike up for the first time on saturday. The engine was stripped down and crank cases were split apart. Had a second gear problem. It kept jumping out. After replacing 2nd,3rd, and fifth gear along with a second gear selector fork the engine was ready to go back together.

While apart i thought i would throw in a 11.1 compression piston, port the cylinder head and install a Mikuni TM40 pumper carb, stage 1 hotcam along with the full Ackropovic exhaust system and modified air filter cover which i done before the strip down.

The bike fired up 2nd kick from a complete strip down. Had to play with the idol a bit to up the revs to stop the cam labouring. Went out for a 20 minute ride on saturday bike felt realy smooth. I kept the revs above idol, between 3 and 4000 rpm. Its hard to see what the cam along has down to the bike but it stil has a nice steady non lumpy idol rather than the lumpy idol of the stage 2 from what i hear.
The xr's going on the dyno on the 16th December the earliest Hm racing can do. I will keep you posted with the outcome.

thanks Darren

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.