2001 YZF426 vs. 1999 WR420

18 replies to this topic
  • 99wr400

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:45 PM

I rode a friends 426 today. It did not pull nearly as hard as my 420. It didn't pull half as hard for that matter. The 400's are the baddest of the Yamaha thumpers with only about 2 grand into the engine. Basically they are the best bang for your buck. They are durable, they haul ass, and they are cheap. If anyone is thinking about buying either bike, I strongly suggest that they should buy the 400. The 426 was piped, and had some other mod's done to it that I can think of right now. The WR is the bike in my "garage", most modified on TT.

• tacoma426

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I rode a friends 426 today. It did not pull nearly as hard as my 420. It didn't pull half as hard for that matter. The 400's are the baddest of the Yamaha thumpers with only about 2 grand into the engine. Basically they are the best bang for your buck. They are durable, they haul ass, and they are cheap. If anyone is thinking about buying either bike, I strongly suggest that they should buy the 400. The 426 was piped, and had some other mod's done to it that I can think of right now. The WR is the bike in my "garage", most modified on TT.

I think something is wrong with ur friends 426

• dman450f

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:44 PM

Obviously... :banghead:

• 99wr400

Posted October 16, 2005 - 09:22 PM

I don't think so. It was running perfectly. That WR was just a beast. Look at what did to the engine. Ported head, Powercore muffler, uncorked intake, wiseco piston, YZF timing, etc... My main jet went from a 168 stock to a 185 when I was done modding the bike. Thats a whole lot more airflow.

• ARin

Posted October 16, 2005 - 10:23 PM

so, you dumped 2 grand into your engine, and you wonder why it is more powerful than a relatively stock 426? in fact, your garage says you have dumped more than 10 grand into that hog.

all i know is that a STOCK 426 or 450 has GOBS more power than a STOCK 400. Because i have ridden all three...and a few examples of all three.

• 99wr400

Posted October 17, 2005 - 05:14 PM

I didn't wonder anything. The main engine mod's cost me around $2000. I got the Big bore kit for $150, but I listed the retail price, so I could tell how much the bike would cost to build if it was all retail costs. The muffler was $160. The porting was $6 (I ported it myself, and all I needed was time and a set of needle files.) That's about $316 for parts ,add another $60 for gaskets and jets, It comes out to $376. If I did the labor myself, and I had beast of a bike. That's an excellent value. But I rebuilt a ton of stuff on the bike, and added on a bunch of non-engine modifications, thats why the total is so high.

Nice AR-15/Colt sporter, by the way. (thats what it appears to be in the pic.)

• ARin

Posted October 17, 2005 - 10:08 PM

Its a hand rolled AR...built it part by part. Then GunKoted Colt grey

http://www.planetbla...ins/olivear.jpg

• jchantzWR400F

Posted October 18, 2005 - 09:01 AM

all i know is that a STOCK 426 or 450 has GOBS more power than a STOCK 400. Because i have ridden all three...and a few examples of all three.

is a GOB?

• Punisher660

Posted October 18, 2005 - 11:06 AM

is a GOB?

Its less than a schitload, and more than a bit :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Its less than a schitload, and more than a bit :banghead:

yep
:banghead:

• PMAUST

Posted October 18, 2005 - 08:33 PM

:crazy: :lol: :busted: :banghead: :banghead: :busted: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :busted: :busted:

I think I would have to agree. :lol: :busted: :lol:

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 19, 2005 - 03:34 AM

I rode a friends 426 today. It did not pull nearly as hard as my 420. It didn't pull half as hard for that matter. The 400's are the baddest of the Yamaha thumpers with only about 2 grand into the engine.

You're comparing apples with oranges.

I've got a WR426 with a skimmed and ported head, YZ timed, and a full Ti system.

Wheelies in top on 14/42 gearing for supermoto, and makes stock bikes look like they're going backwards.

Ran a 12.50 quarter mile at 106mph.

Maybe you should compare your 400 to a similarly modified 426 for a fairer comparison.

(oh, and every new tyre you've put on does not count as a modification :banghead: )

• 99wr400

Posted October 19, 2005 - 03:23 PM

You're comparing apples with oranges.

I've got a WR426 with a skimmed and ported head, YZ timed, and a full Ti system.

Wheelies in top on 14/42 gearing for supermoto, and makes stock bikes look like they're going backwards.

Ran a 12.50 quarter mile at 106mph.

Maybe you should compare your 400 to a similarly modified 426 for a fairer comparison.

(oh, and every new tyre you've put on does not count as a modification :lol: )

Sound's like you've got a real beast. :banghead: My 400 would wheelie in 5th with 13/52 gearing, and it would also spin the tire like crazy. My 500 will wheelie in any gear, and roast the tire just by whacking the throttle in any gear. (this is at a cruising speed of around 50 mph) You can have your ultra fast four stroke, and I'll take my faster 2 stroke that was cheaper, lighter, and more reliable. :banghead: I'm just messin with ya. You're bike sounds awesome.

• 6fiddy

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:55 AM

i guarantee you wont pull twice as hard as me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Sound's like you've got a real beast.

Not really. In comparison to a stock 426 it has a flatter power curve. It's simply been cleverly modded to make more power everywhere.
It only makes 8hp more than stock at peak, but it makes around 10-12 more everywhere else.
Makes it dead easy to ride in 1 gear all day. :lol:
I did have a dyno printout somewhere, i'll try and find it.

Don't tell anyone, but i'm a two-stroke guy at heart. :banghead: I just wanted the bike for supermoto too, and i'm a sucker for Yamahas, they just feel right somehow. :banghead:

i guarantee you wont pull twice as hard as me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what i mean about him comparing a heavily modded 400 to a lightly modded 426. My 426 hands KTM 525's and Supercomps their asses in a straight line. I think it'd be a fairer comparison. :busted:

• 99wr400

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:38 PM

Not really. In comparison to a stock 426 it has a flatter power curve. It's simply been cleverly modded to make more power everywhere.
It only makes 8hp more than stock at peak, but it makes around 10-12 more everywhere else.
Makes it dead easy to ride in 1 gear all day. :lol:
I did have a dyno printout somewhere, i'll try and find it.

Don't tell anyone, but i'm a two-stroke guy at heart. :banghead: I just wanted the bike for supermoto too, and i'm a sucker for Yamahas, they just feel right somehow. :banghead:

That's what i mean about him comparing a heavily modded 400 to a lightly modded 426. My 426 hands KTM 525's and Supercomps their asses in a straight line. I think it'd be a fairer comparison. :busted:

Whoever Ported your bike must be an excellent tuner. It's got to be pretty hard to add that much horsepower all around, and still gain peak horsepower.

• 99wr400

Posted October 20, 2005 - 03:41 PM

Have you ridden a 500 2stroke? Stock they have about double the torque of a modded 450 and more horsepower, and they have pretty smooth powerbands. I think they would make excellent supermoto engines if they were in the right chassis.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted October 21, 2005 - 09:32 AM

The guy who built my top end is widely regarded as one of the best tuners in the country. Thankfully the previous owner had it all done, as i've got the receipts and it wasn't cheap.

I've ridden 2 CR500 supermotos now, and didn't rate them. The power's great in a straight line, it's just that they don't work so well at partial throttle openings, so you can't feed in the power coming out of corners. You have all that power, and can't use it.
Kinda why 4-strokes are better for supermoto, you've got controllable power and more traction.

You can only use what you can get to the floor. Kinda why the engine in my WR is wasted on the dirt for a rider of my ability. I'm fairly quick, but i'm not fast enough to open the throttle all the way in most circumstances.
I'm sure I'd go just as fast on a stock bike.

• FTD

Posted October 22, 2005 - 12:11 PM

I still would of liked to race your 420!!! :banghead:
Talk is cheap! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.