05 Wr450 VS 05 CRF450x

23 replies to this topic
  • PBDBLUE

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:55 PM

I just sold my WR450 (03 model). It was a great bike and I will buy the 07 model when it arrives. However, dont think that they are unbreakable.

1)The valves do wear out. I had to replace my ti inlet valves after 2 years (they were noticeably worn, although bike was still starting). Dont quote the YZ/Wr400 as an example of Yamahas having no valve issues. These bikes had stainless steel valves which are a lot tougher than the later models and their ti components.

2) My starter motor clutch wore out. Plus I had to install the 04 upgraded slipper drive gear. These were both expensive repairs.

3) Lighting regulator blew and needed replacement.

Bottom line is all these bikes require $$$$ and maintenance time thrown at them if you want them to run at the top of their performance game. Honda - Yamaha - KTM. Choice your colour and pay your money.

1) First 426's have Ti valves. Neither my 426 or 450 have required any shimming as yet after many miles. I sold my '99 WR400 to a friend and recently did another valve check after many, many miles. Three valves were just barely out (.001"). Not bad.

2) The '03 WR was the dog. Yamaha fixed the problem in '04 and after that the starter problem seems to have gone away.

3) Haven't heard of any widespread regulator problems. Sounds like a bit of a fluke.

Bottom line I've owned three WR4xx's and all have been extremely reliable.

• CraigW

Posted October 17, 2005 - 11:34 PM

1)
2) The '03 WR was the dog. Yamaha fixed the problem in '04 and after that the starter problem seems to have gone away.
Bottom line I've owned three WR4xx's and all have been extremely reliable.

The only difference between the 03 and 04 was the slipper gear they installed between the electric starter motor and the flywheel gear. On that basis I would hardly classify the 03 model as a dog. The starter clutch design was not changed on the 03/04/05. These do wear out with use. I know of a number of well ridden bikes that needed these parts replaced.

But yes I do agree, WRs are exceptionally reliable (why I loved mine and will buy the ali frame version when it arrives). Once more however, the point I am trying to make is that they still require proper maintenance time and $$$ as things do wear out and break. I get the impression that some people tend to throw their toys out the cot everytime they have a mechanical issue, expecting Toyota car like reliability from their highly tuned mx/enduro bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted October 18, 2005 - 07:36 AM

Well, It comes down to this... The out the door price for the CRF450x is 6280, and the price for the WR is 6106. Is this a good price? both are 05 models.

i understand that the markets will be differant but i can get an '06 wr450 around here for 6,069 otd. I've been lookin just like you, everywhere around here is out of '05's so i was almost talked into an '06 but one dealer said they may be able to find me an '05...i'd prefer to spend a little less money

good luck dude :banghead:

• SkyRaider

Posted October 18, 2005 - 01:18 PM

WR450 vs. CRF450X

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.