03 wr450 going green?

7 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted October 15, 2005 - 05:25 AM

I was looking at bikes for sale on ebay and I saw one for a 03 wr450 saying it was green stickered! (click here) Thinking it MUST be a mistake I sent the seller an email inquiring and here was his reply
"You are right. But not atypically, after a couple of years, they sometimes issue a green sticker, which they did this year, same with my friends 03 KTM which was red originally. I could photo the sticker if you wish, let me know"

This ticks me off because I sold my 03 because of the red sticker :banghead: and lost almost a grand in the process :banghead:

Did anyone else get a green sticker this year on their 03?

• ETP

Posted October 15, 2005 - 05:56 AM

The laws and rules are not clear cut, the DMV personnel are not trained in these matters, and apparently the archiving system once the paperwork has been sent to Sacramento is not setup to flag discrepancies. Read some of the old threads on the dual sport forum about California's rules and laws. Its a neverending mess. :banghead: I'm sure there are loopholes to get a green sticker. The regulations documents on the DMV website contradicted each other back in 03. On and on it goes. :lol: :banghead:
I got a plate for my 03 but it wasn't easy. For others it was.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Back in '03 the DMV was still having problems figuring green vs red. Unfortunately they are much better at it now. If you bought the bike it's questionable if they will issue green again at transfer/renewal. Technically it's a red sticker bike. A risky proposition at best.

• byggd

Posted October 15, 2005 - 11:00 AM

Back in '03 the DMV was still having problems figuring green vs red. Unfortunately they are much better at it now. If you bought the bike it's questionable if they will issue green again at transfer/renewal. Technically it's a red sticker bike. A risky proposition at best.

That's what I thought too but he is claiming it was red stickered and this year he got a green one. Claims him friends KTM did also :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted October 15, 2005 - 05:14 PM

That's what I thought too but he is claiming it was red stickered and this year he got a green one. Claims him friends KTM did also :banghead:

Mistakes were made by DMV with people renewing registrations on '03 models. The DMV mistakenly sent many of them green renewal stickers even though they originally had red ones. They have since discovered the mistake and now rangers are confiscating any green stickers issued in error as they find them and returning them to DMV. DMV will then send you a proper red sticker for your bike. If someone is selling a bike with a green sticker that shouldn't have one, it will only be a matter of time before you have it removed and replaced with a red one. Once a '03 and up bike is designated as red it will always be red. This guy may think he and his friend have a green sticker bike, but they don't.

• bob333

Posted October 15, 2005 - 05:27 PM

I was told some of the early production 03's (produced in 02) had a green VINs, do you think that could be true?

• RADRick

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:47 PM

I was told some of the early production 03's (produced in 02) had a green VINs, do you think that could be true?

Nope. All model years have some of their production run span over two numerical years. 2006 models are already showing up on dealer floors. That means they were made in 2005. The bike has to meet the CARB specs for its model year, not its year of manufacture. Testing is done long before the model year production starts and I've never heard of a manufacturer being allowed to submit a model twice in the same production year.

• Jim_bo

Posted October 16, 2005 - 06:13 AM

I am in the same boat. I have an 03 WR450 which was originally red. When I renewed, the DMV lady gave me a green sticker. I told her she was wrong and that she should give me a red sticker. She pulled out a bunch of books, looked in the computer, talked with a supervisor and came back insisting I was to have a green sticker. I took it and walked out cursing under my breath at the stupidity of state government.

Jimbo

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.