Open pipe surgery!!

18 replies to this topic
  • BRP-rider

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:53 PM

1990 XR600R

I was thinking of cutting open my stock pipe and removing the baffling, (make it louder and maybe increase power). Would the power increase, stay the same, or decrease do to no back pressure? :banghead:

Thanx

• Honda_Man_4

Posted October 14, 2005 - 10:37 PM

i believe it should increase a little bit, but i doubt itll be that noticeable. when we pull the baffles outa all my friends bikes and wheelers they run about the same but they sound a ton better. we have pulled a raptors, a crf 150, a crf 230, and an xr 100s baffles so far. the only one with noticeable differance in power was with the 100. but i am no expert by any means.

• Muzza

Posted October 15, 2005 - 03:04 AM

when we pull the baffles outa all my friends bikes and wheelers they run about the same but they sound a ton better........the only one with noticeable differance in power was with the 100. but i am no expert by any means.

:lol: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :busted: :banghead: Hot Diggity there Honda_Man_4, why not just pull the whole damned exhaust off including the header?
It will save some weight, make even more noise for no power gain etc. etc.
I guess that it's really all about making the loudest noise you possibly can so that should be just great.

By the way, is the '4' in your user name your IQ?
Loud pipes are Dumb, but not as dumb as the goons who make 'em loud!!

Please find another sport to ruin - maybe Tiddly Winks would be something that suits??? :busted: :busted:

• BRP-rider

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Yeh, I heard about this guy who removed all the
baffling in his XR650 and it was unbearably loud.
He said after about 2-3 minutes, he couldn't stand it.
He said he couldn't imagine riding it for hours in the
forest. Can super loud constant noise for hours cause
headaches? :banghead:

• CrackiN

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:53 AM

I say if your going to pull the baffles then you need to open the air box and rejet....Guarantied noticable power gain....Pulling the baffle and packing without rejetting could cause a lean condition and overheat the motor.....

• BRP-rider

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:46 AM

Really, that's interesting.
I didn't know pulling out the baffling could cause the
engine to run lean and over heat. :banghead:

Is that do to more air exiting the pipe thus sucking
more air into engine. Then which there would be to
much air for the amount of fuel, thus running to lean,
thus overheating your motor. :lol:

Thanks for telling me this. :banghead:

• J_Daniels

Posted October 15, 2005 - 10:20 AM

:

Please find another sport to ruin - :

Hey dude, we don't all have to sneak onto uncle Ned's farm to go riding. Lots of places out here to ride with open pipes, IT'S A-OK! If your riding areas have sound restrictions then it's obviously not worth the hassle.
I cut out the baffles and shortened the pipe, found a noticeable gain on the top end. Yes, it's loud with the open tip. Less so with the HRC tip, very quiet with the factory tip. Needed to rejet one size larger on the main, but it still runs well with the quiet (corked) tip.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 15, 2005 - 01:02 PM

:lol: :banghead: :lol: :lol: :busted: :banghead: Hot Diggity there Honda_Man_4, why not just pull the whole damned exhaust off including the header?
I guess that it's really all about making the loudest noise you possibly can so that should be just great.

Please find another sport to ruin - maybe Tiddly Winks would be something that suits??? :busted: :busted:

you need to be slapped!

• YamahaGuy

Posted October 15, 2005 - 01:07 PM

you need to be slapped!

He should be praised for that! :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Honda_Man_4

Posted October 15, 2005 - 01:24 PM

whoa, i think you need a freakin chill pill. i was just sayin what my experience has been. and so what if the people i ride with like loud bikes? no one where i ride cares about it so it isn't hurting the sport at all. so just relax and go ride or something to release all that tension OK?

• BRP-rider

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:02 PM

This is how I look at it.
I can't stand bikes that make are super loud and
have no power. :lol:

I like bikes with lots of power, and not insanely loud. :banghead:

I like to "Walk softly but carry a big stick". :banghead:

• Supplicate

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Loud pipes are Dumb

heh...

my pipe is pretty much a straight through system with a spark arrestor screen in the very end of it. Have to wear earplugs to ride now.

But hot diggity damn if it didn't give me some mad power gains (Barnum's Pro Pipe)

loud pipes are stupid if they don't include any kind of performance gains (i.e. cutting out baffles just to be loud) but are pretty cool if they make the ol ass pucker up like you wouldn't believe because of the power gains.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:37 PM

As long as your doing it in Wyoming it is ok with me. But when you visit Washington put the baffle back in please. :banghead:

• J_Daniels

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:16 PM

Yup, that's the main thing. If you have to manuever around people who are hugging trees and eating wacky mushrooms, it's best not to spray them with dirt and blow out their eardrums (fun as it might be). A pissed-off greanie can cause a lot of trouble. I have no doubt that any rider who cares enough about the sport to be here on TT will use brains and not give the riding community a bad reputation.

• irondude

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:40 PM

For closed course racing its fine to run loud pipes.
For the record--your bike will not make any more power.
You will however shift the power-loosing some bottom end for a bit more on top.

Your engine is an air pump.

Just becouse one side is breathing more dont mean the other side-input-will be able to keep up....so no gain.

IF on the other hand your airbox/airfilter, carb bore, valve duration and size are all modified as well--then your opened up pipe is of value.

Honda made the bike as a package. The package has to be changed, not just the tail end of the package.

It would cost about $3000 in engine mods to get it to work right...but it can be done.

• BRP-rider

Posted October 15, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Wearing earplugs to ride is dumb. :lol:
That means your bike is way to loud. :lol:

I also agree, it's stupid to cut out baffling just for noise gain. No power gain. :banghead:

Relax.....Old_Man_Time. I'm not going to cut my pipe baffling out, and......... Why would I go to Washington to dirtbike when I live in British Columbia, where the best dirtbiking is. :lol:

I also prefer to keep good bottom end power rather than a better top end. :banghead:

• Supplicate

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Wearing earplugs to ride is dumb. :banghead:

I've always ridden with earplugs, loud pipe or not. I figure my hearing gets destroyed enough at work, no need to make it worse at play :lol:

And my bike isn't even closest to the loudest "on the block." But I guess out here in the great big wide open, it doesn't matter so much as those populace infested areas you guys live in.

Up here many people live for loud pipes, be it on pickups, bikes, or sleds.

It would cost about $3000 in engine mods to get it to work right...but it can be done.

Its slowly getting there :banghead:

edit: BRP-rider, try the earplugs once if you do any kind of high speed riding at all, you will understand. No more wind noise making your ears ring for hours and hours afterwards.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 16, 2005 - 01:04 PM

i like my loud pipe........doesnt let u sneek up on hunters!!! of course they still shoot at u cuz there pissed off.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 16, 2005 - 04:43 PM

Wearing earplugs to ride is dumb. :lol:

I also agree, it's stupid to cut out baffling just for noise gain. No power gain. :banghead:

Relax.....Old_Man_Time. I'm not going to cut my pipe baffling out, and......... Why would I go to Washington to dirtbike when I live in British Columbia, where the best dirtbiking is. :lol:
I also prefer to keep good bottom end power rather than a better top end. :banghead:

Some day I would like to ride some of that country. You would need to take it easy on an old man. :busted:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.