wheelie then oil smell.

8 replies to this topic
  • onaXR

Posted October 14, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Rode a decently long wheelie on my 650L the other day when I sit it down I caught a quick smell of burnt oil. Only for a second and never since, oil level is fine no smoke ect. What causes this?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 14, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Are you sure it wasnt tire smoke when you set the front wheel down?

Id pull my old 83' XL600 up from 1rst to 2nd and carry it clear through 5th sometimes to 80 mph or so...(down the freeway no less, Amazing what a 20 year old thinks nothing of :banghead: )

But the front wheel would be dead stopped and smoke pretty good when I'd set it down. (Not to mention the bark and or momentary headshake :banghead: )

You could be getting a puff of oil smoke because of a lack of scavenging in the bottom end because of the angle of the wheelie too, and when you put it down it'll splash the excess up on the cylinder wall and give it a puff for a second or two...I doubt youve hurt it at all

• onaXR

Posted October 14, 2005 - 03:32 PM

no wasnt the tire, I used to do that on the R1 but not the XR. I figure your right on the angle of engine theory. thanks

• TREADMARKS

Posted October 14, 2005 - 04:29 PM

I bet your crankcase gearbox vent dumped a lil oil in the airbox while it was traveling perpendicular to its line of travel.

Have you checked to see if it is clean?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cheff

Posted October 14, 2005 - 04:32 PM

I bet your crankcase gearbox vent dumped a lil oil in the airbox while it was traveling perpendicular to its line of travel.

Have you checked to see if it is clean?

I bet you are right on the money on this one. The engine was not designed to run with the front pointing up!!! I get this on long wheelies as well, the longer the wheelie the more noticeable.

• onaXR

Posted October 14, 2005 - 04:49 PM

I bet you are right on the money on this one. The engine was not designed to run with the front pointing up!!! I get this on long wheelies as well, the longer the wheelie the more noticeable.

Right on the money just went to garage and checked it had a small amount in it. Thanks guys I can sleep better tonight. :banghead:

• XR_RON

Posted October 14, 2005 - 04:59 PM

:banghead: what if you were on a steep up hill for a long period of time ,wouldnt that be the same?

• cheff

Posted October 14, 2005 - 05:16 PM

:banghead: what if you were on a steep up hill for a long period of time ,wouldnt that be the same?

That would have to be one hell of a long very steep hill. Balance point on the L is high, so the hill would be almost unclimbable... well for me anyway :banghead:

• onaXR

Posted October 15, 2005 - 03:56 AM

Thats right, I have climbed a few AMA national hillclimbs that arent that angle.
anyway Thanks agian guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.