Maxxis SI and Pirelli Scorpion Pros Anyone?

8 replies to this topic
  • minion

Posted October 13, 2005 - 09:28 PM

I've done a lot of searching on this forum, and have found a lot of recommendations towards the Maxxis SI or IT tires. I currently have the stockers on my 05 450 (that front tire can go :banghead: die).

Either way, it seems that looking on Pirelli's site, and elsewhere, that the DOT doesn't care what tire you have up front, just the back? Pirelli's catalog shows all of the front tires being NOT marked as "not for highway use", and it shows a few of their models as being marked DOT. Is this the case?

I have a street legal wr450, which doesn't see much road use (its more of an insurance thing). But, every now and then I like to ride it on the road.

I was wondering if anyone had ridden either one (perferrably both!) of those tires above? It seems that the Scorpion Pros don't make much mention on Thumpertalk (at least not in the wr450 forum). They seem like great tires, and they are DOT, ISDE tires. Just not many is recommending them.

Also, most of Indiana is mud, but there are some hard pack clay areas as well. Does the Maxxis SI do ok on hard clay, or does it really suck there? What about the Maxxis IT in the mud? I don't think there can be much worse that stock, so either choice will proably be better. :banghead: Just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks for the feedback everyone,
M.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 14, 2005 - 06:11 AM

maxxis SI for Indiana!!!!!!!!!!! No Brainer!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted October 14, 2005 - 06:21 AM

I am currently using pirelli scorpion pros front and back and they are great for my area. The only place they dont work well is on dry gravel roads, they work great in the wet and soft terrain. A very good asphalt road tire for a knobby too. They are DOT approved.

• minion

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:08 AM

maxxis SI for Indiana!!!!!!!!!!! No Brainer!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Indy,

How would you rate the SI on hard pack? I don't really care about longevity, just grip.

M.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minion

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:16 AM

I am currently using pirelli scorpion pros front and back and they are great for my area. The only place they dont work well is on dry gravel roads, they work great in the wet and soft terrain. A very good asphalt road tire for a knobby too. They are DOT approved.

The biggest problem I have with the stockers, is the front likes to slide along roots and mud in the woods. I've gone down many times because the front can't stay glued to the ground. Does the scorpions work well for that environment as well? I've also considered the Pirelli MT32F as a front, paired with the Scorpion in the rear - still DOT, and I'd have to think its way better than my current tires. :banghead:

What I really need is another set of rims with some tires mounted, so I can just swap tires easier - then I'd have a set of Scorpions and a set of Maxxis SIs on each. Unfortunately, I don't have a grand sitting around waiting to be spent on rims. Those things are freakin' expensive.

M.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:14 PM

I have found the Scorpions to be excellent in wet terrain, logs, roots and all. The rear has also lasted longer before starting to wear than any other tire I have tried. My usual preference for slimy wet is the Dunlop 756 or Michelin
S-12 but they don't last very long.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:27 PM

The maxxis SI work fine on hard pack clay :banghead: they are on my main set of wheels. Pirelli MT18HD and Terraflex are on the other set of wheels. 4 sets of wheels keeps me busy changing tires on my 2 dirt bikes. I wont have a dirt bike again without 2 sets of wheels! :banghead:

• SpeedyR

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:29 AM

all of the Pirelli front tires are DOT rated and labeled. so if you want a DOT tire any of them are fine..

as for choices the scorpion pro is a great all around tire. works well on the hard pack, as well as soft stuff. The MT32F that someone else mentioned is probably a better woods or softer terrain tire, but not as good on hard pack.

I live in the SE and use the scorpion pro when the clay is more like cement (winter and summer) and the MT32F in the spring and fall when it tends to be more rainy and wet (or leaves).

A lot more riders are using the scorpion pro rear tire for a aggressive DOT tire in the rear. the MT18 heavy duty is also DOT legal. Most of the FIM spec tires are DOT labeled as well, so check what the Euros are running. But they can be more expensive. the FIM spec tires have a shorter knob height, so they start out a bit shorter but they tend to wear better than a full size knobby so it's a trade off.

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:09 PM

all of the Pirelli front tires are DOT rated and labeled. so if you want a DOT tire any of them are fine..

as for choices the scorpion pro is a great all around tire. works well on the hard pack, as well as soft stuff. The MT32F that someone else mentioned is probably a better woods or softer terrain tire, but not as good on hard pack.

I live in the SE and use the scorpion pro when the clay is more like cement (winter and summer) and the MT32F in the spring and fall when it tends to be more rainy and wet (or leaves).

A lot more riders are using the scorpion pro rear tire for a aggressive DOT tire in the rear. the MT18 heavy duty is also DOT legal. Most of the FIM spec tires are DOT labeled as well, so check what the Euros are running. But they can be more expensive. the FIM spec tires have a shorter knob height, so they start out a bit shorter but they tend to wear better than a full size knobby so it's a trade off.

Hey Speedy R, didn't know you posted here. Welcome. :banghead:

How does that 32F compare to my MT44 front?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.