Repairing cracked tank

8 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted October 13, 2005 - 08:15 PM

I've got a small (2") crack in the top of my stock '00 gas tank. Does anyone have any experience repairing these things or will I have to buy a new one?

I was thinking some two part epoxy might do the trick but I thought I'd ask first.

• canadian109

Posted October 13, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I tried epoxy and plastic welding with no luck at all the tank flexes too much

• MNellis

Posted October 13, 2005 - 08:50 PM

I tried epoxy and plastic welding with no luck at all the tank flexes too much

Bummer!

• matt116

Posted October 14, 2005 - 05:03 PM

Did you clean and bevel the crack in the tank?
Did you use any "filler" it must be the same material as the tank.
If the plastic has fused properly the repair will be the same color as the tank if you still have white or clear spots the crack is not fused.
I had my tank crack right where my knee rubs. I used a plastic welder and it worked perfect it's been holding for about 4 months now and with new graphics you can't even see the weld.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 15, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Save the headaches and pick up a Clarke after market tank. Much sturdier than stock, the price isn't bad and the color is a perfect match.

• holeshot

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:03 AM

The tank on my '00 426 cracked as well (and let gas dribble onto the air filter, causing a very rich condition).

After a few futile attempts at repairing it, I bought a Clark tank. No problems thereafter.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:49 AM

Don't even think about repairing it. Hmmm.... Let's see 2 - 3 gal of gas sitting right above a red hot header. There have been several posts on here regarding bikes that caught on fire and I personally know of 1 brand new '05 WR450 that caught fire when the fuel line on an IMS tank leaked. The bike burned to the ground. I know it's expensive but IMO do yourself a favor and get a new tank.

• RCannon

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:50 AM

Somewhere on the forum is a picture of a person who thought his tank repair worked.

As I recal he ended up burning his bike up as well as being threatened with legal action for starting a forest fire.

Dont do it! The clarke tank is not that expensive.

• offrodeo

Posted October 15, 2005 - 03:54 PM

i bought some gas resistant glue at the hardware store, seems t work so far. otherwise get it welded

kevan

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.