TPS question

2 replies to this topic
  • stmpjumper01

Posted October 13, 2005 - 07:52 PM

What will the bike do if I unhook the TPS? I've heard pros and cons, so what really gives? I have stock cams and other aftremarket bolt-on bits.

Stumpy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted October 13, 2005 - 09:25 PM

Click here and here for extensive previous discussion on TPS operation. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:03 AM

The TPS provides the data to the CDI unit for the third part of the 3 Dimensional ignition mapping. This works along the same lines as a car distributor with a vacuum advance on it. Lower throttle openings will tolerate, and sometimes need, more ignition advance than heavy or full throttle does, so having that information allows the CDI to map the timing based on both engine rpm AND throttle opening. When the TPS either fails, or is disconnected, the CDI substitutes a full throttle value for the missing data and maps the timing based only on the engine speed. What may actually suffer most, if anything noticeably does, is part throttle, high speed cruising, fuel economy, etc., rather than full throttle performance, since the unit is working on the assumption that the engine is always at full throttle.

The two threads linked tell more.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.