yz400 clutch issue, plz help!

4 replies to this topic
  • yz400 freak

Posted October 13, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Recently my clutch started acting all weird, i was riding it just like always (med-hard riding) on a local track when i started hearing a ticking noise... later when i took the bike to get checked out i found that peices of my clutch rings were flopping around in the basket...odd huh? i also found that my cam chain was off timing, and also thrashed

after being fixed it seemed to run fine, but now i have noticed something odd.

whenever i ride hard for mabey....20-30 minutes, the clutch seems to bind or sumthing. this only happens when going from a dead stop. it makes a slipping sound and tries to die on me unless i give it enough juice and a good amount of clutch feathering.

WILL SOMEONE HELP ME????

any help on this matter would be greatly appriciated...

• Frostbite

Posted October 14, 2005 - 05:28 AM

I’ve shattered a few fiber clutch plates. I think the cause was the tabs on the plates hanging up in notches on the basket fingers. The first time it happened I just replaced the plates and shattered a few more within a couple of days. I filed the basket fingers smooth a couple of times and this temporarily cured the problem. I have a Hinson clutch basket now with no signs of notching yet. You may have cracked another plate if your basket is notched.
The timing chain issue is probably unrelated and simply a maintenance issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted October 14, 2005 - 12:39 PM

How did you fix the timing. Just retime it??? If so go back and replace the chain. The chain is trashed.

• bushy

Posted October 14, 2005 - 03:24 PM

^ What he said. You wont be happy with the results if you just leave the timing chain.

• Hick

Posted October 16, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I agree w/ Frostbite, it sounds like your clutch basket is notched.

And I third the new cam chain idea, only about 25 bucks I think.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.