Stock '00 426 Endurance

7 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted October 13, 2005 - 04:56 PM

I don't have much actual riding time on my 426 and was wondering if anyone can help me estimate how long a full tank of fuel might last during a Hare Scrambles type of race.

I plan on racing this weekend and my race is one hour. I was wondering if I should plan on a pit stop?

• TxRenegade

Posted October 13, 2005 - 06:29 PM

no pit stop needed. i race from 1.5 to 2 hours on my stock tank. you should be able to do an hour easy.
Good luck...

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:35 AM

No need to stop for gas. I just raced a National Hare Scramble and ran just over 30 miles in 2hrs. You sure the race is 1hr? I have never heard of a 1hr Hare Scramble. Maybe its a GP. Hare Scrambles are usually 2-3hrs.

Have fun and Enjoy! :banghead:

• MNellis

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I don't know if this race is officially called a "Hare Scramble". I figured since we were riding a loop longer than 7 miles through the woods it was some sort of scramble. It's a dead engine start and everyone in the class starts together. It's timed at 1 hr + 1 lap I believe. I'll be riding in the 45+ C group. Since this is my first dirt race since I was about 19 and I've only got about 5 hours dirt riding since I bouth the used 426, this should be interesting. :banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Figure it this way, even a good rider would be lucky to maintain a 30mph average during a race. You should be able to get at least 75 miles on a full tank so at an average of 25-30mph you should be able to ride over 3 hours. :banghead:

• silverlakerider

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:57 AM

On my stock '00 426 I've ridden it in desert race style conditions and tight woods single track and all areas in between. I always range between 65 and 75 miles to the tank.

• 4mud

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I race the beginner class in a local hare scramble series (virtually the same background as you) with a WR450. Our race is 1hr long, I make sure my tank is only about 2/3 full. Helps cut down on the weight up high, never needed reserve. We usually go about 25miles.

• MNellis

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for everyone's help. The race went well and fuel usage was not a problem.

While my upper body is about as sore as it's been in many years, I managed to squeak out a 7th place (out of 12 entries). I finished 2 minutes behind the lead bike after 4 laps and about 29 miles.

While I'm still a road racer through and through, it sure is cheaper when I crash the dirt bike and the my wife liked not seeing the $400 tire bill at the end of the weekend. :banghead:

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.