Dyna Beads!!

49 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:05 AM

I worked changing commercial tires for awhile, and a lot of semi drivers with their own trucks would put golf balls inside the tires to accomplish a balanced tire. I don't really buy that it works on a semi, because all those tires would get cupped, but on a dirt bike, those ball would probibly make a good difference.

• roadcam

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:07 AM

www.imiproducts.com/equal/faqs.aspx

I just went to the "Equal" website, and I see they must have changed the product a bit, as they now say moisture is no problem .. good improvement

• motopsycho650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:11 AM

personally, I would never use Equal in my truck. it's weird stuff, the powder stays seperated from water, kind if like water & oil. I'd be willing to try it in my dirtbike, but how would you get it in the tube?

• roadcam

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:16 AM

I used it in my truck for awhile, it worked fine, its almost like a powdered rubber (or was, when I used it 5-6 years ago) ...they just squirt it into the valve stem, using a squeeze bottle (about like a restaurant ketchup dispenser) ... you MUST use a 'filtered' valve core, to prevent the powder from clogging the valve open, resulting in air loss ... my current Dunlop 606 rear took about 6 ounces of lead weight, due to my rimlock, so I assume I could just estimate that amount, and pour it into the tube ... Im going to try it again, at my next tire change .. :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:21 AM

I knew about the valve stem. I just don't see it being very easy to get it in the tube. I'm sure your idea will work, but I see myself making a big mess.

Now days it's not powdered rubber anymore. it's a weird gray powder. most of the time with car/truck tires, you can just drop the bag in when installing the tire, and the bag disolves with the heat & friction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cheff

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:32 AM

truck tire stores and some truckstops sell a product called " EQUAL " .. its a powdered substance, similar to the product mentioned here ... it may be cheaper, after you factor in the much larger packaged amount ( I think I was charged about $15 a bag, which should be enough for several bike tires ) ... ya lose the stuff when ya get a flat, and it will need to be replaced, not like regular lead weights .. it did balance out my big truck tires just fine, though ( hint: it does NOT like moisture, so be sure your airsource is dry ) .. :thumbsup:

I have tried EQUAL, and it sure does not like moisture. So you cant just use any air source. The Dynabeads work fine with moisture since they are ceramic and wont clump.

• supaflyryan

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yeah I totally forgot about this thread. I did install them, and didn't notice a difference good or bad. But...I commute on this bike, so I don't have a lot of high speed time before or after to tell. I left them in because as far as I'm concerned it won't hurt. The bike feels smooth, so I guess I can chalk that up to the fact that they kinda work???

• goblin127

Posted January 23, 2006 - 09:10 PM

Yeah I totally forgot about this thread. I did install them, and didn't notice a difference good or bad. But...I commute on this bike, so I don't have a lot of high speed time before or after to tell. I left them in because as far as I'm concerned it won't hurt. The bike feels smooth, so I guess I can chalk that up to the fact that they kinda work???

Same thing with me. The bike is smooth.

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:59 AM

+1 more on the smoothness since the dyna beads. My daily commute speeds are 80-90 in the morning (0500) and 50-60 in the afternoon on avon distanzias. :thumbsup:

• brichter

Posted January 24, 2006 - 01:40 PM

I bought some beads at Marti~gras this past year...

uhm... my tires don't seem any more balanced because of it though... :thumbsup:

You weren't supposed to bring the beads home... :boobies:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.