Dyna Beads!!

49 replies to this topic
  • goblin127

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Centrifugal force would hold them in place over the force of deceleration untill the wheel came almost to a stop.

• ghoti

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:21 AM

It's good to know they work, but I would think they would go to the farthest spot from the rim, not the lightest. I imagine slime would make them useless, or worse yet stick them all in one spot creating a heavy side.

• roadcam

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:23 AM

years ago, on a street bike, I put a liquid balancing product into my tires, .. it worked fine once you got rolling, but from zero to a few mph, the front forks pogo'ed like crazy ... still, at speed, they were fine

• qadsan

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:50 AM

...However, what happens when you break? Seems the beads would keep going due to inertia, and you'd get way out of balance.
4Takt

The beads will fall out of balance when braking, but centrifical force will redtribute the beads so the tire is balanced 'dynamically'. The faster the tire spins, the better the balance up to a point. If you're riding / driving at 10 MPH, the centrifical force probably won't be enough to distribute the beads for a good balance, but a little bit of imbalance at low speeds isn't nearly as important when compared to a good balance at higher speeds and that's where these beads come into play.

• cheff

Posted October 14, 2005 - 09:57 AM

It's good to know they work, but I would think they would go to the farthest spot from the rim, not the lightest. I imagine slime would make them useless, or worse yet stick them all in one spot creating a heavy side.

Do not use slime with this product, it will not work.

I follow the argument that, at steady speeds, the beads would accumulate in the lighter spots and balance the tire.
However, what happens when you break? Seems the beads would keep going due to inertia, and you'd get way out of balance.
4Takt

That’s a good question; I bet the centrifugal forces are much higher than inertia at speed. By the time inertia is higher than the centrifugal force you will be going to slow to notice an imbalance, and then all the beads would have dropped to the bottom, rolling with the tire not really creating any imbalance.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 14, 2005 - 12:32 PM

I want to know what the guy was smokin when he thought "Hey, if I fill the tire with what amounts to sand, but perfectly round grains, it'll balance the tire at speed"

• bork

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:47 PM

The concept has been around awhile . I had external bb balancers on my 68 'stang . They used to demo them at boat shows with a strobe light and you can see balls at stand still . Cool ! Just think , If they didnt work , they would have the opposit effect . right ? I was wandering if you have a blow out , if you'd shot peen someone to death ? LOL !!!

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 03, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Interesting, let us know how it goes.

Well after hurricane Wilma, a week without power and and two flat tires from nails in the road-I finally got to install the dyna beads.

I must say, they perform just as advertised. The bike is much smoother. I used 1 oz in the front and 2 oz in the rear. They do make a little noise as your coming to a stop at around 10-15 mph. Other than the noise, these lil balls are great! :banghead:

I will be trying them on my big truck tires when I replace them soon. :banghead:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted November 03, 2005 - 10:17 AM

I bought some beads at Marti~gras this past year...

uhm... my tires don't seem any more balanced because of it though... :banghead:

• hill5150

Posted November 03, 2005 - 04:56 PM

:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted November 03, 2005 - 06:26 PM

The 15 Hurricanes you drank is why your tires arent better balanced...

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 03, 2005 - 10:33 PM

Folks have been using BB's for years to give the same effect. But regular steel ones can rust/clump. Stainless would be the way to go for tubeless tires.

$90 bux sounds like a boning.

I might try some arts/crafts beads, see how they perform. Should cost less than $5.

• motomonte

Posted November 04, 2005 - 03:20 AM

Well if you want them to work you should try wearing them inside your tires instead of your neck :banghead:

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:16 AM

$90 bux sounds like a boning.

Should cost less than $5.

It was less than 20 bucks delivered for me. Install was simple.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:11 AM

It was less than 20 bucks delivered for me. Install was simple.

I must have been confusing cheff's statement "I have been looking at solutions like this for 5 years. The first ones cost about $90 per tire" with today's cost of the beads.

Ooops...my error. :banghead:

• cheff

Posted November 04, 2005 - 04:45 PM

I must have been confusing cheff's statement "I have been looking at solutions like this for 5 years. The first ones cost about $90 per tire" with today's cost of the beads.

Ooops...my error. :banghead:

Yea the expensive ones were the old technologies. Dyna beads are actually a reasonable price

• supaflyryan

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Just ordered some for the Supermoto...$15.05 shipped. We'll see how it goes. If I like them, I might swing the $50 for my Jeep's 35" MTR's.

• porterdog

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:53 AM

Just ordered some for the Supermoto...$15.05 shipped. We'll see how it goes. If I like them, I might swing the $50 for my Jeep's 35" MTR's.

Any update? Inquiring minds want to know! :thumbsup:

• Pilate74

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Airsoft Pellets work good in Jeep Tires. You can get a huge package of them for cheap at Wally world. 8oz per tire for 33"s is a good start. Use a Hi lift Jack to pop the bead on the tire, pour them in and re inflate. You have to use dyna beads on tube tires, unless you cut a hole in your tube an stick a patch on.

• roadcam

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:00 AM

truck tire stores and some truckstops sell a product called " EQUAL " .. its a powdered substance, similar to the product mentioned here ... it may be cheaper, after you factor in the much larger packaged amount ( I think I was charged about $15 a bag, which should be enough for several bike tires ) ... ya lose the stuff when ya get a flat, and it will need to be replaced, not like regular lead weights .. it did balance out my big truck tires just fine, though ( hint: it does NOT like moisture, so be sure your airsource is dry ) .. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.