best performance mods xr650r

9 replies to this topic
  • xrmoto

Posted October 13, 2005 - 01:04 AM

From the vast knowledge and experience what are the best and worthwhile performance mods you can do to the 650r to increase performance.

any advice please.

• big t

Posted October 13, 2005 - 01:13 AM

www.xr650r.net go to the left hand side of the site and click on "making the xr650 run right (uncorking)" and alot of us like the Edelbrock carb. Makes the bike easier to start when flooded and better throttle response. I put on Pro Tapers, skid plate and 13/50 gearing.

• TimBrp

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:09 AM

Uncorking first.
Suspension second.
Gearing and tires.
Then leave it alone, aside from added protection.

• xrmoto

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:44 AM

I have done the uncorking. Looking for more oooommmmmmpppppp

• xrmoto

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:48 AM

what about a cam and exhaust?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted October 13, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Try using the search feature. Type in 650R and Cam or performance mods and you should come up with numerous threads on this. Lots of guys will shed their opinion here too. Personally the 650R is plenty for me, uncorked. Looking for more means digging into the motor and destroying the real reason I ride an XR, 'reliability'.

• XRMANU

Posted October 13, 2005 - 12:08 PM

what about a cam and exhaust?????

a good exhaust line,airbox mod + aftermarket filter and a pumpercarb(Mikuni TM40,tmr or Keihin FCR or others) =
:banghead:

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Try using the search feature. Type in 650R and Cam or performance mods and you should come up with numerous threads on this. Lots of guys will shed their opinion here too. Personally the 650R is plenty for me, uncorked. Looking for more means digging into the motor and destroying the real reason I ride an XR, 'reliability'.

The bike is not close to the top power it was designed to put out. The cam is mild to allow it to be sold in California as a green sticker bike. Adding a Pumper carburetor a cam with longer duration (like the HRC Cam that was designed to come with the bike) and more flow in and out of the engine will not take away from the "Reliability" of this bike. With more power someones riding "Style" might allow them to ride the bike harder and put more strain on the engine but, that is not the samething. I will get the same "wear" out of my 680cc XR as a Uncorked XR but, I'll get it there faster because I am riding harder, faster, rougher = able to do more. Some don't want balls to the walls bike, just a good trail bike, wanting to milk out as much life time as possible, that is cool but, some want to ride at the edge and repair the wear for more grins. :banghead:

• Blue Man

Posted October 13, 2005 - 07:51 PM

Call XRs Only and talk with Chris Blais, he will make your bike rip like he did Campbells and does Childress'.

• al_piv

Posted October 14, 2005 - 05:04 AM

Chech this out
http://www.4strokes....da/650rmods.asp
I submitted the parts list to OEMThumpertalk and they had the best prices. Had the parts in a week.
The BRP is a changed PIG!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Xr650l Dave's carb mod question by theonenutbandit

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

FMF Powerbomb vs HiFlo Headers by jevon.pearse

• 23 replies
Forums
Photo

Can't make my mind up...xr650L to KTM 690r by 09BigRed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Complete Guide To Installing FCR MX on a XR600 - last post by jtf1307tie

Complete Guide To Installing FCR MX on a XR600

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

• Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.