GYT-R Weighted Flywheel (1.4kg-cm2 vs 2.6kg-cm2)

4 replies to this topic
  • muddza

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:19 PM

How do these compare to the stock WR Flywheel ??????? in weight

• CHEEZE13

Posted October 13, 2005 - 09:16 AM

2003-2004 Yamaha YZF450 OEM is 3.6kg-cm2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2005 - 09:41 AM

I don't know what the weight or inertia mass comparison is between a stock WR flywheel and either of the two GYT-R flywheels for a YZ450 that you've listed, but they will not interchange in any way, so I'm not sure why you've asked that.

The two flywheels are roughly 5 and 7.5 ounces heavier than stock. How these compare to bolt-on weights varies a little depending on the design of the weight, but the bolt-ons have to be heavier to produce the same results as the welded weights because part of the mass of the bolt-on is in the center area where the bolts go, and the entire mass of the weld-ons is at the outer edge. An 8oz Dr.D 'wheel is roughly equal to using a 12-14 ounce bolt-on. Weld-ons are also balanced after assembly, and cannot wiggle loose.

The stock WR is somewhat heavier than any of these, and incorporates a starter drive as well.

• muddza

Posted October 13, 2005 - 12:35 PM

That all I need to know thanks mate :banghead: I was thinking of the weight comparison between the WR and GYT-R flywheels to try and judge which weight to get, I will be going with the heavier of the two..

• ncmountainman

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:15 PM

the stock WR450's are around +18 oz(i've weighed the diff,and no i didn't include the starter clutch,but did include the starter gear)compared to a stock yz450,but as gray says,its not all on the edge. alot of it has to do with the starter gear which is smaller in diameter than the fw,which would give less inertia. i'm guessing a +12-14 would be about the same as a wr in that respect :banghead:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.