Help with my Forkin Forks please

1 reply to this topic
  • kdtg

Posted October 12, 2005 - 08:52 PM

I just bought a 1995 XR 600 a couple of weeks ago and decided to kinda go through everthing and check it out before I rode it. I discovered it had leaking fork seals and bad fork boots. A coworker offered to do the seals for me so I pulled the legs out and sent them home with him. When disassembling them he took the nut loose at the bottom of the legs and the dampener rod came unthreaded from the valve stack. Now on reassembly he can't get the rod to thread back into the valve. Is it suppose to come loose were it did and if so how do you restart the threads? He has done several dozen different fork jobs (including other years and models of XR's) and says he has never seen one do this. Does someone have some advise or help please. He spent 2 1/2 hrs trying to get one of the restarted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted October 13, 2005 - 07:31 AM

Forward your message to Kelstr. The guy is sharp as a damn tack...

Ive never had an XR fork apart...but forks arent all that complicated at all. I just revalved my TC Showa on my CRF. Took me about 45 minutes including taking the fork off the bike! And Id never done it before and had to grind off the peen on the valve stack...

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.