Bike is to slow now...

11 replies to this topic
  • Dennis'_WR426

Posted August 19, 2001 - 10:16 AM

Yes thats what I said. It just doesn't seem as fast as it was. It's a 2001 WR with maybe 150 miles on the clock. Any suggestions?
Dennis

• Marty

Posted August 19, 2001 - 11:55 AM

Im guessing you have kept constant upkeep, oil changes, are you using a different gas, maybe you have been getting bad gas, maybe water in the gas, dirty carb already. Just some things to consider.

Marty

• Michael

Posted August 19, 2001 - 08:13 PM

Can you give us a bit more to go on. What have you done in the way of mods? What normal maintenance have you done?

• Dennis'_WR426

Posted August 21, 2001 - 01:53 PM

Well I have changed the oil alot. The first time was after 20 miles, then after every ride. The bike has no mods but I noticed that if I twist the wick all the way it just doesn't pull like it used to. It doesn;t have crap for miles on it. Now that I think of it the fuel in it is a little old, lets say a month or so. Thats about all I can think of that I have done... Please advise
Dennis

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 21, 2001 - 05:36 PM

Fuel loses it's octane if stored in plastic containers, i.e. gas tank. One month is kind of short, though.

If you have done NOTHING since the last time you rode it...there is not much it could be. I guess I'd dump the fuel (into my car) and drain the carb through the main jet access plug on the underside of the carb's float bowl.

Maybe pull the air filter and check it out. I had a family of mice move into my Ninja's airbox, and I sucked the nest into my carb...

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• freestyle111

Posted August 21, 2001 - 06:14 PM

check mainjet maybe there's a little dingleberry in hole obstructing fuel flow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 21, 2001 - 06:22 PM

You can drain the bowl without removing the plug. There is a small, allen-head fastener right next to the lower-most vent hose. This is actually a drain hose, loosen the small allen-head screw and the bowl drains out that hose so you can run it all into a container or something.

Maybe your accelerator pump is clogged? That would be more of a bad response/flat spot situation as opposed to a "bike is to slow" though.

I have also had gas not much older than one month make a bike run poorly.

• John_H

Posted August 21, 2001 - 09:06 PM

where you located? If you get another techie to look at it, you'll probably find the problem.

• Mojo

Posted August 22, 2001 - 08:36 AM

Dennis, I had the same thing going on for awhile. Kept fouling plugs, to the point of every 20 minute ride. I pulled the carb off and dropped the needle one clip. Am going to go one more this weekend.

After putting the carb back on (it's not that hard a job)I took it out and just ran the piss out of it. It came back to life but is still a little rich. If you have a black plug, I'd suggest dropping the needle, it worked for me.

• Dennis'_WR426

Posted August 22, 2001 - 01:05 PM

I am in Southeast Michigan, between Detroit and Monroe.

I may try to empty the tank or " run the piss" out of it. :)
Any other suggestions wouldn't hurt!!!!
Dennis

• Michael

Posted August 22, 2001 - 06:23 PM

Well it's MOD ime!! Time to trim the throttle stop and do some of the other simple mods! The Stop alone will make the bike run like it should. Do a search to find out how to do it.

Check the air cleaner, like Kevin suggested, and check your exhaust (pull the plug - and leave it off if you can stand the increased noise) and make sure there isn't something blocking it.

Just the thoughts of a deranged mind......

• Dennis'_WR426

Posted August 23, 2001 - 11:17 AM

The throttle stop is next.
Dennis

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.