Bleeding brakes from Banjo Bolts???

13 replies to this topic
  • FasterNU

Posted October 12, 2005 - 10:29 AM

OK I cant find it anymore but I recently read on here about a trick to bleed the brakes.

They mentioned bleeding from the banjo bolts. How exactly would this be done. I would think it would let in air

I am going to replace my front brake line as I still have mushy brakes with new pads and a rebuilt master cylinder.

Can anyone give me a step by step on this method??

Someone please enlighten me before I get frustrated on Thur aftermoon trying to get it done quickly. Going to the track Sat.. and prefer to have some front brakes. :banghead:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 12, 2005 - 11:40 AM

usually you do this when you have to prime the master cylinder so you can bleed the rest of the system. Its messy as hell, but the banjo bolt/line connection right on the master is where you'd normally do that. Then youve gotta just push fluid all the way through the caliper to get it blead out correctly.

• biznet1

Posted October 12, 2005 - 01:16 PM

Shawn is correct, but maybe I can add some info that helped me. First of all, are you talking about bleeding the Rekluse rear brake lever kit? If so, remove the lever while leaving the plunger in the perch. Then you can pull it all the way out before pushing it all the way in. I noticed that it doesn't work nearly as well bleeding unless you do it this way. Push it in and out slowly a few times to get any air from the top out while making sure the fluid level doesn't drop to the bottom of the reservoir. Then hold it all the way in and crack your banjo fitting enough to bleed some air and fluid, then close it back. Repeat this several times while keeping your reservoir at least half full (it will help to have some assistance). If you are talking about the stock front or rear brake, you would use the bleeder valves, not the banjo fittings.

Revised:

I read it a little closer and noticed you were talking about the front lever. You need to fill your brake line through the bleeder valve on the caliper with a syringe and a rubber tube (I use a turkey stuffer syringe and a tube). Push the fluid in from the bottom until your res is full, and tighten your bleeder before you release pressure from your syringe. Pump with the lever a few times and hold, crack the bleeder, close and repeat until your brakes are solid. Like Shawn said, since you rebuilt your MC, you may need to prime it a bit by cracking your banjo there as stated above.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 12, 2005 - 01:57 PM

When I just did the master cyl. on my XR, I used a giant veternary syringe and a piece of vaccum tubing on the caliper bleeder screw. I used it like a vaccum and pulled the fluid from the resivior out of the caliper by drawing with the syringe. It worked freakin great! I also found that there was a point in the throw of the lever where it seemed like the passage from the master to the slave was wide open and I could just pull as much fluid as I wanted with the syringe.

Im super glad I thought of that syringe too. The caliper had the pistons stuck in it. So I had to pump them out with the brake lever one at a time. I had to pump one piston out, fix it, put it back, bleed the thing, then hold it in place with a clamp, pump the other out, I was out there all freakin day as it was, let alone if I had to do it the old fashioned way...pump pump pump, crack, close,pump pump pump :banghead:

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted October 12, 2005 - 02:27 PM

the syringe deal works even better if you push fluid from the caliper bleeder up tot he master.

• RCannon

Posted October 12, 2005 - 04:25 PM

Burned, when a person does this do you just let the extra fluid run out of the m/c???

I suppose a tray underneath the m/c would catch the extra fluid, right???

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted October 12, 2005 - 05:00 PM

i make sure its empty or low before i start.just go slowly and remove some from the reservoir as go if need be.you will be suprised how quick and how little fluid it take when you do it this way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FasterNU

Posted October 13, 2005 - 02:27 PM

last time i tried to get syringes.... the local hospital/pharmacies looked at me like I was a friggin druggie!!!

I'll see if I can get one. What blew me away about this banjo bleeding method is I thought the washers were crush washers... so I thought it might be detrimental to the sealing integrity.

Looks like my friggin brake line wont be in today!!! grrrr

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 13, 2005 - 02:31 PM

Just hit up a Feed store. They'll have those big assed verternary syringes. Its what you want anyway. They're only about a buck or so. They dont come with needles, and the ones you can buy, no even a junky would use! :banghead:

• biznet1

Posted October 14, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Or, one of those thanksgiving turkey syringes you stick in it's butt hole :banghead:

• huffster

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:01 AM

You can also find a thing called an EZ-Bleeder at some of the automotive stores...It's basically a syringe with some rubber adapter tips....I use that along with some zip-ties and rubber line to do the Power bleed technique that Burned referred to above...Works GREAT !

• skthom2320

Posted October 15, 2005 - 08:41 PM

I went through exactly the same thing as FasterNU - mushy front brake even after rebuilding the caliper, and bleeding till I was blue in the face (with the 60cc syringe from the feed store method).

I decided like him to buy a new front brake line and went to install it last night. Much to my chagrin, the '04 CRF stock brake line clamp is too big to hold the ride engineering steel braided line, so I ended up putting my old line back on until I could get the right clamp.

I was very surprised when I bled the line and suddenly my brake is super firm again!

I think there was an air bubble trapped somewhere that didn't go away until I'd removed and replaced the line, then rebled.

FasterNU - get a syringe, take your line off at the banjo bolts, then put it back together and bleed that thing until your eyes hurt. It worked for me. :banghead:

• RCannon

Posted October 16, 2005 - 05:57 AM

Locally we have stores called IFA. Intermountain farmers Assoc. They sell syringes for Veternarian use. The cost is only 35 cents.

Better yet, no needles. They dont look at you like your a Motley Crue band member.

• biznet1

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:03 AM

last time i tried to get syringes.... the local hospital/pharmacies looked at me like I was a friggin druggie!!!

I'll see if I can get one. What blew me away about this banjo bleeding method is I thought the washers were crush washers... so I thought it might be detrimental to the sealing integrity.

Looks like my friggin brake line wont be in today!!! grrrr

When they do that, just start twitching and scratching everywhere and tell them you heard crack was bad for your lungs, so you've decided to switch to shooting meth. They won't be able to give it to you fast enough! :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 CRF450 Shootout by dc182

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 INFO? by Phil Hannah

• Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

Reviews? by quadgirl2

• 20 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.