WR 400 Advice

4 replies to this topic
  • joe_hru5656

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Hi, i have asked my local dealer if i could get a dual sport kit for my WR 400 and if it would be good to drive on the road( I would drive maybe 6 times a week for about 30 60 minutes at a time on the road). He said no way, not a good idea and id not sy anything else.
Is it a real bad bike to drive on the street? I am not look for comfort, i just want something to drive. Please tell me what you think of it on the street.

• kirkw

Posted October 11, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Some of the TTers ride their WRs on the road a fair amount and have no problems. I think the issue the dealer was not mentioning is that relative to street bikes, the oil capacity on the WRs is much less. Oil changes on these are already a frequent event, most suggesting every 300 miles or so. Therefore, unless you are willing to be a very regualr oil changer as you rack up road miles there are probably better street bikes to serve the need. With that being said, I think this is a very worth and reliable steed, espcially when in the dirt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slipper40

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:34 AM

And maybe that they don,t have a cush drive and the seat is like a plank of wood, but yeah as Kirkw says they are awesome offroad and as you don,t sit down much whilst trail bashing as comfy as it gets :-)

• jobstress

Posted October 12, 2005 - 09:15 PM

I have ridden on the road. Its fine, :lol: Keep up on maintenance and get the correct tires :banghead: and I wouldn't take it over 60 for too long. :banghead: No freeway.

• tshe1

Posted October 13, 2005 - 01:41 AM

i oner of wr426 01' for 8 months and i riding it just off-road :
1. the insurance in Israel is extremely hight (1K$ for a year and average income of 1.5K$).
2. the bike is not comfort, especially in long range-it has hard seat.
3. the maintenance is not cheep: oil,filters,inspections and cost of brake-off parts.
4. the bike is designed mostly for off-road riding.

naturally you will get different answers for the issue
do you own consideration before you buy.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.