Difficulty removing steering shaft nut: advice sought

3 replies to this topic
  • Garry

Posted August 19, 2001 - 03:07 AM

Hi All,
I am interested in advice from others who may have had this problem.
In seeking to remove my steering head to grease the bearings (newly purchased WR426), I have had difficulty in removing the steering shaft nut. It is torqued to ~ 140Nm, and I am seeking to remove the nut with the forks off the bike. As the nut is turned the top fork clamping bracket rotates with the nut, but the nut does not release. Rather, the top clamping bracket rotates out of alignment with the lower bracket (up to 90 degrees) yet the steering shaft nut still does not release. It appears that the options I face are:
1.) Continue to undo the nut, under the assumption that it will release, or
2.) Place the forks in the steering head to prevent relative rotation between the two clamping brackets and undo the steering shaft nut. I am concerned that this option may place and unacceptable force on the forks.

Advice on what action to pursue with respect to the above would be gratefully appreciated.

Garry

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 19, 2001 - 04:03 AM

put the fork tubes back in, and spin off the nut.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim_in_WA

Posted August 20, 2001 - 11:53 AM

Borrow an impact wrench.

• jamracing

Posted August 20, 2001 - 11:54 AM

No impact. Put forks back in, put socket on, and turn.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.