Opinions on Xmas goodies

11 replies to this topic
  • SteveWR450F

Posted October 11, 2005 - 10:29 AM

Thumper Gods:

I ride an 04 WR450F (free modes, White Bros E2 pipe, rekluse clutch, Scotts stablilizer) in the Pacific Northwest on tight rocky hilly technical stuff. (Way too old for Motocross).

Anyway, I love how the bike is setup and it really makes me ride better. However, I am considering a few upgrades and wanted to get your opinions.

- Was thinking about getting an Oversized front brake rotor to help with descending rocky hills. Any recs on best brand? Does an oversized rotor really help? I use a Roster front disc protector and am wondering if the the guard wont help because the bigger rotor might be larger than the guard.

- Second upgrade: New tires. The rocks have really chewed up my rear tire in less than 6 months. I have heard good things about Maxxis but dont know much about tires. What is the best brand/type for tight muddy rocky hill climb stuff.

Thanks for your time and opinions. Steve

• clark4131

Posted October 11, 2005 - 11:36 AM

Keep in mind that if you go with an oversized rotor, you'll also have to relocate and/or replace your brake caliper as well to handle the larger diameter rotor...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 11, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Forget the oversize rotor! More vulnerable to damage from rocks! :banghead:
Get a steel braided line and Sintered pads for more braking power! Ride engineering has a good kit for the WR braided line.

Maxxis SI front and rear! They wont last more than 800 miles but they will ride great in mud and rocks. :banghead:

• drewpeacock

Posted October 11, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I just had a birthday and received a tall seat which really isn't much taller but soo nice on the butt and the rotating foot pegs that after my second ride (sixteen hours) I've come to appreciate and think it was money well spent. I know Indy thinks they're dumb but I like them. :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 11, 2005 - 12:34 PM

My buddy NCMountainman swears by the rotating Powerpegz. :banghead:
I just keep my IMS pro series sharp enough to tear off Mike Metzgar's last testicle! :banghead:

• dbailey223

Posted October 11, 2005 - 12:44 PM

WHat brand of seat, drewpeacock?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted October 11, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Steve, what rear tire are you using?

Many in the Pac NW love the s-12 rear.

• byggd

Posted October 11, 2005 - 02:15 PM

I didn't see a skid plate on your list......it would make a great stocking stuffer :banghead:

• drewpeacock

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:15 PM

WHat brand of seat, drewpeacock?

Guts and Enduro Engineering make them for the WR. The Wifey bought me the SDG tall seat. :banghead: Problem was it was for the YZ. I just switched it over to my WR seat base and it's as good as new and I guess we saved a few bucks. Good Luck, Brock

• OldManInTheDesert

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:49 PM

Howdy guys not new here but been awol for awhile. Anyway since you mentioned skid plates who makes a good one for the WR?
I have an 02 426, any help would be great.
BTW I love the s-12 here in NV also.

• SteveWR450F

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:49 PM

Good ideas. Sorry I left the list somewhat incomplete of my bike in case my girlfriend finds out how much I have actually blown on the bike.

I also use Flat land Radiator guards and carbon skid plate. Also have flat land skid plate but the carbon is doing pretty well.

Thanks for all the input,

• oldbones

Posted October 11, 2005 - 04:14 PM

Ooh, I know! You need a Rooster Performance ISDE Jacket. They ROCK! (Cheap too.)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.