DOT Tire Recomendation

5 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted October 10, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Any thoughts to a DOT approved rear tire? Go about 80% offroad, 20% on road. Neighbor likes Dunlap 600 (?) Have an xr400r that is desperate need of treads and a 650r that is gonna need something soon. Is this something I can change out myself, noticed the Honda dealer sold tire irons, and if so any tools better than others?
Thanks in advance.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 11, 2005 - 08:06 AM

This has been done to death, use the search feature.

To get you started, check out the larger pirelli MT21, and of course the teraflex.

The newer t-flex (made in china) is not as good as the older 'flex (made in the USA) but is still worth considering.

Terrain and how minimal the street performance can be usually dictate the choice. Especially if wet pavement is a consideration.

Dave

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:05 PM

I ran a Metzler Karoo on the rear and front for over a year on my old XR650R(street legal) and it held up like you could not imagine ... I will by one soon for my DRZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted October 11, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Any thoughts to a DOT approved rear tire? Go about 80% offroad, 20% on road. Neighbor likes Dunlap 600 (?) Have an xr400r that is desperate need of treads and a 650r that is gonna need something soon. Is this something I can change out myself, noticed the Honda dealer sold tire irons, and if so any tools better than others?
Thanks in advance.

I like the Kenda Trackmaster II's.

Posted Image

As far as tire irons go. Talk to your Honda mechanic. See what he uses. In reality though, tire irons are just a small part of the tools you should be carrying with you when you are out in the back 40.

Posted Image

Because you never know when your tires might let you down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• husky123

Posted October 12, 2005 - 04:07 AM

I just ordered the Maxxis 6006's..I'll let you know how they turn out. :banghead:

• Toolmaker

Posted October 12, 2005 - 05:00 AM

I have a Pirelli mt-21 on my bike . Its holding up good on the road but, it gives up quick off road ,to quick in fact for me to ever get another one. I will give up some wear for more grip offroad ,next time. jmo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.