Don't laugh!!

39 replies to this topic
  • MichaelAngelo

Posted August 18, 2001 - 06:45 PM

I'm considering wearing a life preserver under my jersey and chest protector. Just kidding, at least partially. I'm recovering from a very hard hit to the cheast (ie. ribs) and am certain that if I were weraing some sort of dense foam protection around the 'cage' then I would have avoided a stay in the 'ol hospital. Any of you know of a product that offers these advantages? Those bio-foam protectors won't cut it I believe. I might have to customize, which seems to be the spirit of things on this forum. How about air-bags buit into the chest protector? Sounds ridiculous I know, but if you recently had a collapsed lung and were not able to ride for a couple of weeks you'd be using your imaginations as well. Thanks for any advice. M :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 18, 2001 - 06:51 PM

were you wearing a chest protector?

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 18, 2001 - 06:54 PM

Yea Kevin, I was wearing an Acerbis. Without it I'm sure my ribs would have been splinters. The Doc said that it is not uncommon to detach one's aorta with the kind of impact I took. And I wasn't even going fast.

M

• freestyle111

Posted August 18, 2001 - 07:50 PM

i just duct tape pillows all around myself.if that doesnt work try a bed mattress[not the boxspring ]have some buddys roll you up in it with your head sticking out the top then either use a couple rolls of duct tape or rope to secure it.dont forget to cut holes for your arms to stick out.i also recommend an extra hole just in case you need to take trailside pee.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 18, 2001 - 08:08 PM

Try a sporting goods store that sells football equipment. They should have rib protectors that QBs wear - might work for you.

Brian

• Hick

Posted August 18, 2001 - 08:26 PM

This is an interesting topic.

When I was younger I used to rodeo a little. They didn't have these at the time, but now all the guys who ride rough stock events wear Kevlar vests. I also know a few ladies who do jump-seat horse shows and steeple chase-type events and they wear similar protection.

I’ve always wondered why nobody ever tried such a device for motocross or off-road racing. I’ve broken a few ribs myself and I’m sure that a vest like that would have mitigated the injury significantly.

I do know that the vests the bull riders wear run almost $400, I don’t have any suggestion as to where to purchase such a thing but any good tack supply store will probably have heard of these things, the woman I know who rides jump seat says most all the competitors wear them.

• YZ400Court

Posted August 18, 2001 - 08:48 PM

You might look into hockey gear. it seems plenty durable, and much cheaper that bike stuff.

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• 400EXCited

Posted August 19, 2001 - 05:59 AM

Do a search on the net for TEKVEST. They specialize in Sno-X equipment. They should so the trick for you. They are made in Canada and several of my riding buddies use their Tekvest instead of a traditional chest protector.

• armourbl

Posted August 19, 2001 - 08:27 AM

here is their site...
http://www.tekrider.com/

or more direct....
http://www.tekrider.com/atvdirt.htm

I think I may have to get one of these.

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
White Brothers E Series Full exhaust
Panoram computer
Fly bars
jet kit
YZ timing I think (bought used)
Grey wire mod

[This message has been edited by armourbl (edited 08-19-2001).]

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 19, 2001 - 10:58 AM

Thanks all, I appreciate the good advice. I especially like the mattress and duct tape idea. I think I would have a hard time starting the bike though. I will check into the rodeo, hockey, football, x-snow suggestions. This has been helpful. Can't wait to get back out there.

M :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tripm

Posted August 19, 2001 - 12:28 PM

http://www.Dainese.com

They already have you beat. Home page currently shows time lapse of 'air bag'.

I currently use a protector from them that has a kidney belt, spine protector, forearm, elbow, shoulder, and chest protection all in one piece. The chest part has no hard shell, but it's thicker than the cheap plastic roost protectors that everyone else seems to be selling.

Mark

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 19, 2001 - 02:49 PM

I checked out the "air bag" ...looks like it might work, but it would sure be a bummer if it went off if you just took a hard landing at spped. That compamy had some cool stuff. I checked out the Teckvest site and that looks pretty good too. I think I am on the right track with all the cool suggestions I've been getting. You are all Great!!!!

M

• hodaphile

Posted August 19, 2001 - 08:34 PM

How about a big round inflatable bubble?

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 20, 2001 - 05:35 PM

I know you guys with the jokes must think I'm some kind of weeny, but hell...this is the first time I've spent any time in the hospital and I've been riding dirt and street for over twenty-five years. Give a guy a break. I was just wanting some good advice on some better equipment and folks have been kind enough to deliver. I guess I can take a bit of 'ribbing'. :)
M

• The_Missile

Posted August 21, 2001 - 12:35 AM

Originally posted by MichaelAngelo:
I'm considering wearing a life preserver under my jersey and chest protector. Just kidding, at least partially. I'm recovering from a very hard hit to the cheast (ie. ribs) and am certain that if I were weraing some sort of dense foam protection around the 'cage' then I would have avoided a stay in the 'ol hospital. Any of you know of a product that offers these advantages? Those bio-foam protectors won't cut it I believe. I might have to customize, which seems to be the spirit of things on this forum. How about air-bags buit into the chest protector? Sounds ridiculous I know, but if you recently had a collapsed lung and were not able to ride for a couple of weeks you'd be using your imaginations as well. Thanks for any advice. M :)

I do downhill mountainbiking. Speeds perhaps not as high as dirt bikes however I can vouch for the dainese solution. Lightweight and it works.

ciao

------------------
The Missile

• freestyle111

Posted August 21, 2001 - 06:21 PM

you can let my girlfriend ride on your handlebars at 315 lbs shes better than a airbag.

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 22, 2001 - 04:20 PM

Hey freestyle,
Your girlfriend is not the one in the crash video. I appreciate your generosity, but I'd have to re-valve my forks and some other expensive mods. Thanks anyway though!

M

• MichaelAngelo

Posted August 22, 2001 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for your comments as well Missle!
M

• freestyle111

Posted August 22, 2001 - 09:26 PM

i dont blame you for not wanting my girlfriend i guess she's a better windbag than airbag."she could give a headache to a aspirin and she's as useless as a ashtray on a motorcycle."

• PMAUST

Posted August 23, 2001 - 05:27 AM

This subject is important to me also. Last week-end I took a low speed fall but landed on my right shoulder with all my weight. Ouch! Its not broken which is a good thing but the muscles and tendons were really stressed and man am I paying the price now. The typical chest protector does little if anything to protect against side impact. But, instead of hanging up my handle bars for good - I'll just get more padding! :) When looking at vest/protection don't overlook your shoulders. Good Post! Thanks, Paul

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.