1987 Xl600r Engine Problem (oil Pump?)

5 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted October 10, 2005 - 06:37 PM

I Have Been Patiently Restoring This Bike For The Past Year Or So. After $800 And Blood, Sweat And Tears, I Finally Had It Running But Only For About A 100 Meters Or So. The Engine Sounds Like It Is Going To Seize! It Revs Up, Rings Vibrate, Then Dies. I Was Able To Restart Twice But Ended Up With The Same Problem. Could It Be The Oil Pump Malfunctioning? Oil Not Getting Into The Cylinder? Or Something Else! I Hope I Haven't Done Anymore Damage. How Do I Check If The Oil Pump Is Working? Thanks!

• Thumpmeister

Posted October 10, 2005 - 08:44 PM

What are the other symptoms of the bike? Does it idle no prob? What does it sound like at idle? If you rebuilt it right, I wouldn't think there would be a problem w/ it seizing. I'm not quite sure how the oil pump works on those things, but is it a dry sump or a wet sump motor? And usually you wouldn't be able to hear rings vibrate. If you hear something vibrate, its usually something else on the bike; like a loose belly pan, or something along those lines. If you provide more info, I MIGHT be able to help.

• XRsteve

Posted October 11, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Crack open the bolt going through the banjo fitting on the oil line going to the top of the head while the engine is running. Oil should start seeping out pretty quick. This will tell you if your oil pump is working. (Unless the filter is in backwards)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted October 11, 2005 - 06:35 PM

IT WAS THE OIL PUMP! I LOOKED INTO THE OIL FILTER AND IT WAS BONE DRY! SOMEHOW OIL IS NOT GETTING INTO THE OIL LINES AND INTO THE CYLINDER HEAD :banghead: I WILL DISASSEMBLE THE PUMP AND BLOW COMPRESS AIR INTO ALL THE PASSAGES AND OIL LINES AND SEE IF IT WILL WORK! OTHERWISE, OFF TO THE CLEANERS... AGAIN! THANKS!

• XRsteve

Posted October 11, 2005 - 06:44 PM

You might want to put some transgel or vaseline in the pump gears to prime it. I do this in auto engines all the time. And make sure your two screens aren't clogged. Go here for more info: XR oil pumps

• tntmo

Posted October 11, 2005 - 09:49 PM

You absolutely have to prime these pumps! I learned this the hard way myself and it sounds like you may have also. Two top ends and I was out of the Honda game for a while, too bad because I loved that bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.